73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Electrical

S.O.S.!!! Can anyone help with my electrical dilemma?

(1/8) > >>

85Stroker:
Hello everyone,
I have an electrical problem that's driving me totally NUTS! I just installed a gear reduction starter on my 85 K1500 with a 383 stroker motor, the problem I'm having is that when I go to start it it acts like the battery is about dead, and will hardly turn it over even one time. Here's the dilemma part, I have tested the NEW battery (just installed) just prior to attempting to start it and it is showing a FULL charge, now if I jump it with another vehicle it fires right up! As mentioned, I just installed  a new battery and a new alternator as well, I also installed 2 gauge battery cables (both positive and negative cables) to flow more juice to the starter. I have tested every single electrical circuit and none show any draws what so ever, I tested my new alternator and it passed with flying colors, I cant find any bad grounds, all fuses are good I can't find any shorts, breaks in wires, etc. I am at a complete loss as to why it won't start, can anyone point me in a direction I may have missed or overlooked??? ANY help would be greatly appreciated, I am severely color blind so doing wiring is hard enough, due to the fact I can't tell the colors of the wires, but I have trouble shooted everything they listed in my original GM mechanics service manual, and checked every circuit according to the wiring schematics in the manual and, hard as it is to admit, I am completely stumped! Thank you in advance for any input or help!
Best wishes to all!
85Stroker in Missouri ( or in this case MISERY!)

bd:
Symptoms could be caused by an incorrect battery ground cable attachment location.  Where is the battery ground cable physically attached to the engine?  Are the new battery cables all copper, copper-clad aluminum, or all aluminum?  Did you fabricate the battery cables or purchase prefab cables? 

To reveal any prior assumptions, take some voltage drop measurements.  Connect your voltmeter across the battery terminals.  Record the voltmeter reading.  With the voltmeter still connected to the battery, attempt to crank the engine and record that voltmeter reading.  Connect your voltmeter's negative probe to the battery's negative terminal pad and the positive probe to the starter case.  Attempt to crank the engine and record the voltmeter reading.  Now, connect the voltmeter's positive probe to the battery's positive terminal pad and the negative probe to the starter B+ post.  Attempt to crank the engine and record the voltmeter reading.  Connect your voltmeter's positive probe to the starter B+ post of the starter solenoid and the voltmeter's negative probe to the starter's case.  Attempt to crank the engine and record the voltmeter reading.  Post all of your voltage measurements with clear descriptions of where they were taken.

Gear reduction starters generally draw less current than the more common direct drive starters.  How did you "test" the battery?  Where did you physically connect the jumper cables to your truck from the other vehicle battery?

JohnnyPopper:
bd is ON the case!

Will be curious to see how this works out... 8)

85Stroker:
Hi bd, thanks for the reply, I have the battery ground cable connected to the lower bolt of the alternator, the long bolt that goes into the block, I had Napa build the 2 gauge cables and they are copper, I watched the guy making them and he did a very good job.I also have a ground cable going from the block to the frame. I was concerned that it was a grounding issue but I have checked and made sure the grounds were clean and against bare metal so I can't figure out where, IF it is a grounding issue, it would be, that's part of what is frustrating the heck out of me!

Tomorrow I'm going to take your advice and do the tests you mentioned, looking for any voltage drops, and will report my findings here.

Thanks again, I'm hoping with yours, and anyone else's, assistance I can find what is going on before I loose my marbles completely!!!

85Stroker:
Hey bd, I forgot to answer your other questions,a friend of mine has a load tester and he tested my battery, also when jumping it we just went battery to battery, all 4 ends were on the 4 respective battery terminals, positive to positive, negative to negative, it fired right up. Hopefully the tests tomorrow will result in some useful information. Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version