73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Electrical

Weird issue

(1/6) > >>

JohnnyPopper:
Notice my turn signal indicator in the cab stopped working on the left side.

I looked and the front blinker/parking light wasn't working. Parking light worked.

Naturally bought new bulbs but that did not fix the problem.

Noticed the side marker would blink out of phase with the front bulb (Right side)

When the left side blinker/parking bulb was removed, the side marker would blink strongly, and the turn indicator on the dash would follow.

With the front bulb installed it would not, noticed that the side marker dimmed and would not blink.

Cleaned the ground in the light fixture, DeOxit all connections, no difference.

Any help would be appreciated. 

ehjorten:
Not sure what is going on. Hope it isn't a turn signal switch issue. I do know that it is normal operation for the side marker and front turn signal to flash opposite of each other in these trucks.

bd:
Good thing you know how to use hand signals!   ;D

Of course, if no one else does, it won't do you any good.   >:(

The front side markers are connected between the park and turn signal circuits.  So the 194 bulbs ground through the park/turn lamp filament(s) that are not energized. 

Are the symptoms the same regardless of whether the park lights are ON?  Is the left 1034/1157 bulb inserted 180° out?

JohnnyPopper:
Right?!? They look at me like I'm a fool with my left arm out!

Not 180 out.

When I have the 1157 out, the 194 blinks.

When I install it, it stops, as if the higher load bulb is sucking all the power?

Thanks for the reply.

bd:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on September 27, 2023, 01:45:54 PM ---When I have the 1157 out, the 194 blinks.

When I install it, it stops, as if the higher load bulb is sucking all the power?

--- End quote ---

This ^^^^^ I understood.  But does it make any difference whether the park lights are ON or OFF?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version