73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Electrical

1987 v10 dome light, horn not working

(1/1)

1987copper..v10:
1987 v10 dome light, horn not working. I've got hot going to dome and checks out fine, ran continuity with multimeter on ground, and get a decent reading, assuming i'm reading multimeter correctly. I thought ground(orange/white running to dome) may be corroded running through door threshold, so I cut it by fuse box, pushed on horn...and nothing, so i assume that ground is fine....Checked ground cluster behind instrument panel, detatched , inspected connections, everything looks fine, no corrosion.... checked door/dome light switch on driver side, looks perfect

bd:
Are you sure the dome lamp bulb is good?  Orange is B+, white is switched ground.  Reconnect the wires that you cut.  Probe the orange wire using a test light clipped to ground to verify battery voltage.  Then jump the white wire directly to a shiny clean bare metal ground.  Does the dome lamp illuminate?

zieg85:
I had this same exact problem about 15 years ago on my 85.  I think it was a fuse, caused by a bad ground.  Check your fuses.  Clean the ground on the left rear tail light.  It didn't make sense that it was all connected. 

1987copper..v10:
Bulb is good...orange is good, fuse is good, I think the ground is ony half good, or half bad, haven't worked on it yet... thanks for the replies, I'll update once I get a chance to work on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version