Author Topic: Propane conversion  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Propane conversion
« on: July 16, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »
I know there's at least one Canadian on here running LPG w/ a blower on their truck here, I was considering a conversion on my '81 with it's newly built 355. Other than refill accessability, are there any real disadvantages to running LPG? I've read that it has lower BTU's than gas, but averages a higher octane than gas so I won't have to worry too much about my 10:1 compression. Any ideas, it's not my daily driver anymore seeing as how I found a Ford to destroy for work, just a weekend warrior now.

JayTater

Z28 C10

Offline DnStClr

Re: Propane conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »
Jay, I did a Google search on propane conversions you can find a bunch of info on the web about it.They've been doing it for something like 25 yrs. There's govt. web sites on it too. I recently read that propane might very well be thr fuel choice of the future since gasoline prices are going ballistic.
www.autogaspropane.com/why_propane_auto.htm  

Don St.Clair
Culleoka Tn

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
Eventually ,when the propane suppliers see a lot of vehicles running on their product,they'll slowly start raising prices to match gas prices.Its already happened with diesel.

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline mickey

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:30:50 PM »
i have contacted a frend tha thad a old Ford truck done. it was a 460 i think. either way it was a bb.
But he seemed to love it.
i will let you know what he says about it etc...

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:33:32 PM »
I had it on a 1981 C-20 454 TH400 4.11 gears.  This was on a truck I had in Texas.  Dual tanks, 40 gallons regular gas and a big LP tank in back that made the bed shorter than a 6 ft. usable space.  8 mpg with the gas and 3.5 on the LP.  In Texas they taxed based on miles trucks were driven with a minimum of 20K miles.  The Tag you had to get in order to fill up was about $500 if I remember because you just payed the sales tax not the Fed or state gas tax so after that it was not cost effective when I drove the truck only about 5K a year.  I just remember how sluggish it felt when it was switched to LP.  There was quite a bit of crap that made it work to switch off the fuel pump which actually bypassed and recirculated it back to the tank and special injectors under the base of the carb, the timing automatically switched and for some reason it would ice up on cold days and quit running.  Switch it to gas and everything would be fine. It just didn't make sense to stay with LP.  I just went to a Heat Pump with electric backup and got away from my LP furnace at the house.  Yes LP is an alternative to fossil fuel just like E-85 but for now if you figure your operating cost per mile gas at $3 per gallon gass is still less even in an E-85 vehicle.  My $.02
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/