Author Topic: truck wants to die out  (Read 2309 times)

Offline countryboy279

truck wants to die out
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:50:16 AM »
Hi I'm new here i think this is the right place to post this.
So i have a 1978 gmc k1500 with a 350 it runs fine in cold weather but wants to die out when in
Hot weather and i have to give it some gas so it won't anybody have any ideas on what it could be

Offline rich weyand

Re: truck wants to die out
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »
Check choke operation.  Check idle mixture when warm.  Check ignition timing.

We need to know more: What carb is on it?  Electric choke?  What transmission?  Replacement crate 350 or original 350?  How many miles are on the engine?
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline countryboy279

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »
Its an edelbrock carb not sure of cfm just bought the truck, it has electric choke, 350 trans,original. engine, about 100,000 miles

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »
Check that the vacuum advance is connected to the proper port.  This is real common with Edelbrock carbs.  The vacuum advance should not be connected to the passenger side port (ported vacuum).  It should be connected to the driver's side port (manifold vacuum), which is about the same amount off center on the carb on the other side, and a little lower.  That could do it right there.

Check to see if the choke is working.  Take off the air cleaner with cold engine and note position of choke plate.  Turn ignition on (no need to start engine) and observe choke plate.  After about 5 minutes, the choke plate should open fully.  If choke does not open fully, check choke electrical connectors for 12 volts whenever ignition is on.

Check ignition timing.  With the vacuum advance disconnected and the hole in the carb plugged, 12* BTDC at idle should be a good timing number to start with.

Check the idle mixture.  Screw the idle mixture screws in all the way (not tight!), then back out two turns.  Start the engine and set the idle to 700 rpm.  Back the screws out 1/4 turn.  Faster or slower?  If faster, back them out another quarter turn.  Keep repeating until it runs slower, then turn them in 1/2 turn.

If none of those do it, check the float levels.  For this you will need gaskets: http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1499/10002/-1.  Adjust the float levels per page 8 of the Edelbrock carb manual: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf

Let us know how that stuff works out.
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline countryboy279

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »
Haven't had time to check yet but i'll keep you posted