Author Topic: Electric Choke Problem  (Read 1194 times)

Offline adgalloway

Electric Choke Problem
« on: February 22, 2019, 10:10:47 PM »
Hey all,

I have a quadrajet with an electric choke sitting on a transplanted 350 engine. The hot wire for the electric choke had no fire on it, so I went to the fuse box with a test light and found the fuse is good and there is power on that circuit at the box. So I traced the choke wire back and found it ends at a round plastic plug that wasn't connected to anything. Can anyone tell me where this should plug in? I checked all around the firewall and fuse box. I'm not sure if I'm looking for a place to plug in on the harness that may not be intact anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Electric Choke Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:24:36 PM »
There should be three wires entering that round connector: pink/white, dark blue and light blue.  The connector attaches to a two-prong oil pressure switch that manages power to the electric choke thermostat.  See GM electric choke operation for Q-Jet carbs.  If you want to determine whether the choke works, temporarily jump the two terminals of the connector and start the engine.  The choke should relax to fully open within about three minutes.  Once you verify the choke works, pick up and install a new pressure switch.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline adgalloway

Re: Electric Choke Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:46:30 AM »
Thank you, that's very helpful. Do you know if a newer 350 out of a 4th gen truck will accept the type of oil sending unit needed for the quadrajet choke.  The engine in this truck supposedly came out of something newer that may not have had a carb originally. The carb and intake are, I believe, off the original 305.
Thanks again!