Author Topic: Installing a wire into convoluted wire sheathing  (Read 810 times)

Offline Geezer77GMC

Installing a wire into convoluted wire sheathing
« on: August 08, 2022, 08:38:05 PM »
Today I needed to add a wire into an existing plastic split convoluted wire loom. After fighting the wire for a foot or so, my daughter suggested using a window screen bead install tool with the convex wheel to open the shroud and push the new wire inside the loom, It worked real well, the next 4 feet were finished in 2 minutes. Thank God for kids that question what the old man is doing. ps: Showed her how to repair window screens last month.

Offline peewee0413

Re: Installing a wire into convoluted wire sheathing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 09:44:47 PM »
     7 dollars for this one and they make different sizes,  different manufacturers, etc

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Offline peewee0413

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 09:49:04 PM »
Can use a plastic fuel line disconnect tool too...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 05:00:05 PM »
I have a set of sleeve runners and when looming a harness it can save a lot of time. They're dirt cheap on eBay too.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Geezer77GMC

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 09:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. This job was into an existing loom from the bulkhead connector, under the brake booster to the right side of the engine while installed in the vehicle. Not a very easy location to work on with throttle, cruse cables, vacuum lines, oil sending gauge and warning light units,  distributer housing and wiring, ground strap & transmission kick-down in the area.
This all started when the small plastic tab that the gear indicator cable runs across broke off from the gauge bucket.