Author Topic: 87 V10 Throttle Body Question  (Read 611 times)

Offline josephshs2008

• New Users
87 V10 Throttle Body Question
« on: December 09, 2022, 03:13:17 AM »
I didn't really know where else to post this. I have an 87 V10 with the manual 4 speed. I have a couple of the later years throttle bodys as spares/parts. The throttle body on my truck has never been rebuilt to my knowledge. I'm thinking of rebuilding one of my spares. My only question is will the newer style work properly. The only difference I can find is that Throttle Position Sensor is a different style. If I change the Pig tail over too does anyone know if the ECM will read it correctly? Any help appreciated.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: 87 V10 Throttle Body Question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 07:50:21 PM »
If you can identify the part name/number you are talking about, along with your existing one, try to buy one online and see if they are interchangeable.

Lots of parts sites have a 'info' button for the part and it will tell you the makes, years, and models they fit.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 87 V10 Throttle Body Question
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 10:40:13 PM »
From recollection, though not physically interchangeable, the two styles of TPS are calibrated the same, hence, the throttle base assemblies should swap with the installation of the appropriate pigtail.  Make sure that the throttle attachments are the same.

Excessive wear of the throttle shaft bore and plates are concerns with any high-mileage throttle base, whether carbureted or TBI.  Wear is exacerbated by the use of dry fuels such as propane or if the vehicle is operated in an abrasive environment (e.g., farming, mining, etc).  Rebushing the shaft bores is fairly routine if you have the proper tools and can source the aftermarket bushings and metric throttle plate retaining screws.  Lateral wear of the throttle plate margins directly above the throttle shafts requires plate replacement.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)