Author Topic: Found a newer truck today and have question about possible trans swap  (Read 3272 times)

Offline 1976Scottsdale

I was looking around at my pile of parts this morning after pulling the 305, TH400, NP203 and seat and tunnel cover out of my 76 K-20 in preparation to install my rebuilt 350, TH350 and NP205 when I got a phone call.  A friend said his ex wife's father had a 98 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4 ext cab shortbed for sale cheap.  I went and looked at it and it has a 305 vortec engine in it and a 4l60e transmission. There is no rust and no dents in the truck and he said the trans was out so he wanted to get scrap price of about 500 bucks out of it.  I am picking it up tomorrow.  I noticed that it had the lever actuated transfer case rather than the push button one.  Now for the actual question part.  I have the transmission (4l60(e) and transfer case and driveshafts from a 1989 GMC 1500 4x4 and I was wondering about the possibility of putting the trans from the 89 in the 98 truck?  The pump went out tin the old trans so I can get it fixed but I was thinking I might be able to make the other one work.  I am totally in the dark about anything this new so it was only a hopeful thought.
Thanks for any help or advise.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Found a newer truck today and have question about possible trans swap
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:20:41 AM »
If all that's wrong with it is the trans I would just rebuild the one that's in there. They are different. Here's a little info on the 4L60E

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/4l60e.htm

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 11:16:30 AM »
I see.  nevermind on the swap then.  Was wondering, after talking to the owner, he said he went out for a drive and the truck just quit moving on him.  The fluid smells fine and there is no discoloration.  is there anything with a 4l60e in terms of controllers or modules that might cause it to stop working?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »
Sure, you'll need a scan tool. Do you have one available to you? I would scan for trans DTC's and do a pressure check first.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:05:58 PM »
Sure, you'll need a scan tool. Do you have one available to you? I would scan for trans DTC's and do a pressure check first.
I have one of those 100 dollar scanner jobbies from the parts store for 1997 up vehicles if that's what you are talking about.  The guy told me a little while ago that he put a bushing on the torque converter becaust the front seal was leaking.  He made no mention of having removed the factory pump bushing.  he said it was fine aside from the leak and he put in a new converter, bushing, and seal and drove it for two days and pulled up to a stop sign and it just wouldn't move.  I think I will have the local trans shop look at it once I get the truck home and then I will have some real details to offer rather than just second hand intel.  Thanks for the help so far vile, I can work on stick shifts all day long but these automatics are uncharted territory for me.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 05:27:26 PM »
Sounds like the pump broke.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)