Author Topic: axle joints  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
axle joints
« on: July 21, 2003, 01:52:00 PM »
So how big of a job is it to change axle joints on my 1/2 4x4 (corporate 10 bolt)? I dont really have the cash to pay someone. What all has to come off? How about the upper and lower ball joints? Do they have to be pressed in or do they pop/screw in/out? I know i know i need a manual...

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Joints
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 10:48:00 PM »
You don't have to disturb your ball joints at all. Take Caliper, Rotor, backing plate, and spindle off and the axle will slide right out.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
Re: Joints
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 10:51:00 AM »
thanks man, i know i asked a little about it before. Your always the one to reply! Im changing them after i paint the truck and the paint is drying. itll be great to have 4x4 working again. thanks

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: Joints
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 07:46:00 AM »
Getting the spindle off will probably be the most difficult part.  If it has been on there a long time rust tends to build up and make it feel as though it is locked on.  After you get the 6 bolts off that hold the spindle on i would recommend spraying it down with something like PB Blaster.  Then you may need to use a little persuation to get it off (read: use hammer to loosen, but beware of threads and bearing surfaces :rolleyes )

Also you need a spindle nut wrench to take the hub off the spindle.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205