Author Topic: 87 350 TPI Rebuild  (Read 3741 times)

Offline BJ87Chev

87 350 TPI Rebuild
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »
Its coming time to begin the restoration of my 87 R10 truck. Bought it new and have 318k on the block. Any good suggestions for a reading list to help sort through the myriad of choices? My preference is to keep the original block in the truck. That said, I'd like comments on the following:

1. Keep the 350 or bore to 383?
2. Reuse TBI or get a new Holly dual barrel TBI?
3. Like the idea of the shory headers. Are the JBA's worth the money or are there better options? I recall a post suggesting a "ram" shaped exhaust manifold but forgot the name of it. Would one of those provide the same performance?

Not being an engine techie, I am looking for a general direction to work toward. This will be a daily driver for many years, so I'm not diving off the deep end. The rig pulls an occasional trailer but mostly runs the freeway.

Appreciate your comments.

Offline eventhorizon66

Re: 87 350 TPI Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:05:09 PM »
350 vs. 383 depends on your budget and power goals.  I really wish I had gone with a 383, if that helps.

Unless you are trying to build a high-performance motor, keep your stock TBI.  Maybe freshen it up with an injector cleaning.

As far as rams horn manifolds go, they offer some performance gains over other production manifolds, but headers are in another league.  You should try to go with long-tubes for the best gains across the power band.  I love my Doug Thorley Tri-Y's.  They fit perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:07:25 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Blue 82

• Frequent Member
Re: 87 350 TPI Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »
I would stick with a 350 as fueling a 383 with a TBI can be tricky unless you can find someone with a tried and true, proven recipe (cam, heads, injectors, exhaust and chip) experimenting can get you into a lot of trouble here.

The 350 TBI will take modest upgrades like an TPI L98 or Vortec L31 roller cam, another popular cam is the Crane 2030 flat tappet. To upgrade to the roller you will have to drill and tap the three raised bosses in the lifter valley for the lifter retainer (spider as some call it), and of course aquire the associated parts.

The stock swirl port heads can be worked to flow well (193 casting)
You can also upgrade to the IRON L98 camaro head which allows you to retain the stock intake manifold and EGR (unlike Vortec heads)

With any upgrades, keep in mind, that you will need to have a "custom" chip burned, but by doing so you can make a few changes like running a 160* or 180* thermostat, and have the speed limiter eliminated if your truck has it.

you can get an idea of some of the tuning issues involved if you look here

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/performance/tbi-tuning-87-95-obd-i-ecm-pcm/

82 stepside 2wd 355/th350/3.08 posi