Author Topic: K30 Crew Cab Project  (Read 6760 times)

Offline Deercreekfarm

K30 Crew Cab Project
« on: March 07, 2020, 07:38:28 PM »
Started the K30 CC project. This is going to be a frame off restoration/build.

Here’s the truck as I bought it, 1982 K30 Crew Cab with a 454 gasser and a flat bed.

Engine (454 big block)

Front Clip removed

Crew Cab removed

Engine removed.

So that’s it for today, Next step is to pull the flat bed and then the TH400 and NP205, remove all the lines and hoses and sand the frame down and line-x it. I will post pictures as it goes along.

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
Re: K30 Crew Cab Project
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 04:43:55 AM »
Man, that's a nice rig, and a great starting point.  I'll be eagerly waiting (with a bag of popcorn) for your posts.

I'm a K30 dually guy...110%...albeit a regular cab guy.  I'm madly in love with the two that I own.  Tonight, big "Rico" sits warm and cozy in the garage.  Max has been at my Cousin's body shop for a few months, getting some much-needed aesthetic TLC. (*Here's my thread, if you have any interest...http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=37910.0).  No matter which one is sitting in the garage, sometimes I go out there with my Jack & Zero just to stare.  I truly can't believe that I own 'em.  Between them and my kitty-cat and puppy-dog, I'm the richest man in the World!

Because I'm a truck guy, folks ask me, "J.J., what truck would you own if you were a billionaire?"  I tell 'em, "I already own 'em."

Here is big Rico, patiently awaiting our next ride...

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 04:49:41 AM by JAH »
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline Deercreekfarm

Re: K30 Crew Cab Project
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 07:13:14 AM »
Man, that's a nice rig, and a great starting point.  I'll be eagerly waiting (with a bag of popcorn) for your posts.

I'm a K30 dually guy...110%...albeit a regular cab guy.  I'm madly in love with the two that I own.  Tonight, big "Rico" sits warm and cozy in the garage.  Max has been at my Cousin's body shop for a few months, getting some much-needed aesthetic TLC. (*Here's my thread, if you have any interest...http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=37910.0).  No matter which one is sitting in the garage, sometimes I go out there with my Jack & Zero just to stare.  I truly can't believe that I own 'em.  Between them and my kitty-cat and puppy-dog, I'm the richest man in the World!

Because I'm a truck guy, folks ask me, "J.J., what truck would you own if you were a billionaire?"  I tell 'em, "I already own 'em."

Here is big Rico, patiently awaiting our next ride...

J.J.,

That’s a good looking truck!

My K30 looks decent from a distance but when up close you can see all the rot. The doors are gone, rocker panels shot and You could put your hand through the floor it was so bad. The previous owner told me it was used as a farm truck used for spraying fertilizer. Amazingly the frame is in great shape which is why a bought it. I found an almost rust free donor cab down in South Carolina, a rust free non running 1984 C10 to donate the front clip and long bed. The donor crew cab has one bad spot in the firewall but I will use the C10 cab to provide the patch for the bad spot. My plan is to Line-x frame and underside of cab and bed. Hopefully this will help prevent rust and make the truck last another 30 years.

Went to look at a new crew cab and I’m not paying almost $100K for a truck. Thats more than what I paid for my first house. The idea was going to be this will be the last new truck I ever buy. I talked the Sergeant Major into letting me build my last new truck from the ground up and hopefully save about $80k in the process. I am a diesel man thru and thru so the old gasser has to go to make room for a diesel under the hood.

Offline Deercreekfarm

K30 Crew Cab Project
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 08:04:43 PM »

Got the old flat bed off the truck.

Got the back half of the frame sanded down and primed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:06:46 PM by Deercreekfarm »