Author Topic: Locked brakes and lost power steering??  (Read 5059 times)

Offline csdineley

Locked brakes and lost power steering??
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »
Hello

A couple months ago I swapped a hydro boost system from my parts truck onto my daily driver. Basically just for better braking. And other then one broken power steering belt and a leak that I haven't been able to find. Everything has been pretty good until tonight.

Tonight on my way home, my wife asked me to stop and get some stuff from the grocery store. On my way out, I checked and added some power steering fluid. Then when I went to stop at the end of the parking lot. It felt like my brakes locked up and I lost power steering. I managed to get it back to a parking space and let it sit for a few minutes. After which every thing seemed fine. And worked fine until I went to pull into my driveway and it started again.

So after all that. My first thought was that I just let it get too low on fluid. Next thought was the hydro unit, but the lost of power steering has me thinking power steering pump. Any suggestions, this is my first go around with a hydro boost system???

Thanks
1987 V20 Custom Deluxe, Vortec Headed 350, SM465,Np205 14Bff 4.10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Locked brakes and lost power steering??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:23:24 PM »
air bubbles in the ps fluid?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 08:51:57 PM »
Any suggestions, this is my first go around with a hydro boost system???

Yes, Put the vacuum booster back on & throw the leaking, slobbering P.O.S. in the trash.
They are just like a sunroof...maybe on the surface it seems like a nice option, but after a few years they are leaking & being a pain, your always working on it & wishing you didn't have it.
My Two Cents worth, Lorne

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »
didnt someone on here have one fail while he was driving and lost steering and rolled the truck or something like that

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline csdineley

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »
Ok so today I got tried of playing with the hydro boost, and put my old vac system back on. Just have a few loose ends to finish up tomorrow morning. But now for a new question. With the vacuum booster back on. There seems to be a lot of travel in the pedal. The brakes seem to work fine (in the driveway). Just don't remember if that's how it was before the switch or not?

Offline 81_Chevy

• Frequent Member
  • A Truck Is Built, Not Bought
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:22:10 PM »
theres alot of play in my system as well. so i dont thinks its abnormal.
81 Chevy K20 350 4" Rough Country lift ridin on 35's ; 2 12 inch Subwoofers w/ a custom interior

Eagle Scout - 2012 Proud to be one!

Offline csdineley

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
Still having the power steering going out once and while. On my way to work, it went out once when I was turning onto a side street from a stop. But then worked fine the last mile to work. And on my way home worked all the way until I went to pull into my driveway. Both left hand turns. This pump I put back on is about a year old, belt about a month old. Any suggestions???

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »
How are your steering and suspension components on your truck?

Maybe you have worn parts that are binding and putting pressure on the steering that not even the power steering can over come?

Just a thought because it seems very strange to be intermittent.

Steering box issue maybe?
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »
any air bubbles in your steering fluid

Offline csdineley

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »
Well today I jacked the front end up and had my wife turn the wheel as I looked at the steering. I didn't see anything binding. But then again, not sure what I was looking for. Everything looks normal.I haven't seen any air bubbles in the fluid, but while it was in the air. We turned the wheels back a forth a bunch of times. Just in case there is some air trapped in there. I'll report back today after work. But thanks for the suggestions guys.

Offline csdineley

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
Ok well it's still happening. So today I'm starting to throw new parts at it. First up I'm replacing the pump and lines. If that doesn't work then a new steering box (which is leaking from the top near the rag joint anyways).