73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Wheels & Tires

7.50 x 16 "military" tires on k20 with chains?

(1/2) > >>

Dave78:
I'm going to be needing some new tires for an 81 k20 soon because of dryrot and I'd like to go with the deestone d503 or similar skinny military type tires. I however live in North Idaho and occasionally venture in the mountains and might be buying a house off of maintained roadways before the tires wear out.

The question is would I have clearance issues running chains on that size tire? I currently have 31's on it and would like to go to 35's because it's geared 4.10 but I know I'll need a lift. With the sagging front end I'll probably need a lift for 33's if I go off road any amount and possibly spacers with chains. I'm thinking of cheaping out on a taller skinny tire and calling it good and still be able to chain. Just curious if anyone has tried this. I'm also eating off the outside of my front tires, I just rotated them and as you can see in the picture, it's eating them up pretty bad. I'm thinking too much to toe in.

JohnnyPopper:
Yes alignment is needed badly!

Have you thought of using taller shackles on your front leaf springs? I haven't heard of anyone doing that but I just looked at my K10 and they're pretty short. Stout but short.

I don't think any geometry would change radically in the angle of the drive shaft and drag link. Although that entirely depends on the height you take it to.

JohnnyPopper:
BTW I moved to "33 from my "31. No clearance issues.

Dave78:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on September 27, 2021, 07:05:56 PM ---BTW I moved to "33 from my "31. No clearance issues.

--- End quote ---

Is that with chains or no?

Dave78:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on September 27, 2021, 07:04:47 PM ---Have you thought of using taller shackles on your front leaf springs? I haven't heard of anyone doing that but I just looked at my K10 and they're pretty short. Stout but short.

--- End quote ---

A guy was using it as a plow truck so the front end sags pretty bad, if I went through the trouble of messing with shackles I'd just get me new and heavier duty front leafs. I'll end up putting a plow on it if I move out to the mountains anyways. Haven't lived over that way but I hear priest river/nordman get way more snow because of inversions and mountain shadows etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version