Author Topic: I'm FORKED - Cant get a Clutch Fork to Fit in my '87  (Read 1143 times)

Offline ToppDogg

I'm FORKED - Cant get a Clutch Fork to Fit in my '87
« on: November 29, 2021, 09:46:48 AM »
Hello,

I CANNOT get a clutch fork to fit into my bellhousing and onto my shaft. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! I have a 1987 Chevy V20 I got a few months ago.  It needed a new fuel pump, fuel tank, new starter and new clutch. She (Katy) starts and runs now, but I have yet to throw her into gear... I have never replaced a clutch but I got Youtube so it seemed easy enough. Everything was hunky-dory until I went to put on the new release bearing and clutch fork, I've spent at least 4 hours trying to get the dang things on there. I have tried a variety of different auto parts stores and they keep giving me a clutch fork that is not quite the same size as the one I got off the truck. I got these numbers off of the clutch fork, 15592270, I think its the original GM part but when any auto parts stores look it up they all come back and give me the same part that doesn't fit, CF-116. I have tried telling them I got a different tranny (Tailshaft Housing Casting Numbers 15597793) but so far I haven't had any luck getting a fork that fits. I cant use the fork I pulled out because there's way too much play in it and I think that's part of the reason that the clutch I pulled off was so worn down.  How can I find the correct fork?!? I attached a photo for ya'll to see how perty she is.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: I'm FORKED - Cant get a Clutch Fork to Fit in my '87
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:14:35 AM »
A more useful picture would be comparing the 2 forks side by side so we can see
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 01:20:49 PM »
What transmission do you have? Did not see where you mentioned it. For example I have a CH465 in my truck. I think the number: 15597793, is a "Tailhousing Adapter Gm 15597793," and not the actual transmission. You can go a salvage yard finder site and do a nation wide search for a clutch fork for your transmission, if you cannot find a new one and if you do not have a local salvage yard with one. Using your part number 15592270 on your clutch fork, I found a new one on EBay. Also found a new OEM clutch fork at 4 Speed Conversions, See the pics.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 01:43:51 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline ToppDogg

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 02:05:21 PM »
I just ordered the OEM part, I am not super confident it is gonna change much about my situation. I also looked up a clutch fork based off of my transmission (I tried this at my autoparts store and they didn't come up with anything). Another guy on another forum has the same transmission as me, Muncie SM465 (his is in a '72 K10) and he recommended this clutch fork, ATP-ZA100 for the fork (from summit racing), it is shaped quite a bit different from mine but I think that's what I need.  I'll update after I get those parts shipped and try them out!

Offline ToppDogg

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 05:38:52 PM »
Update: OEM Piece fit, got it on there first try. I compared the part I kept getting at auto stores to the OEM piece and couldn't tell any real difference but somewhere something was different! Got the transmission back together and now gotta get the slave cylinder working then I am in business!