73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Interior & Equipment

No Chime When Key Is Turned On

(1/2) > >>

Jon87V20:
I was fishing some new wire through the firewall in my '87 Suburban V20 recently and I noticed it no longer triggers the chiming sound when the key is turned to the "ON" position. It still works if I turn the headlights on with the key off, so I know it should be able to produce sound at least.

Is there particular wire up under the dash I may have knocked loose or something? Not a particularly big deal, but it's just been weird to not have it make any noise. It makes me do a double take like the battery is dead or something. Maybe I'll get used to it.

I should also note, the wires for the driver door switch fell inside the hole and I haven't gone about getting them out of there yet. However, this didn't have any effect on the sound. Just thought I should mention it in case that could play a part somehow.

Mr Diesel:
I think there should be a wire for that coming out of the column somewhere and eventually ending in a small rectangular plastic box under dash. That little box contains a small circuit board to trigger the chime for key in and door open, lights on door open, etc. It is up under dash plugged into harness.

It does sound like you may have bumped wire loose. You can swap out that box if you suspect it. I used one from a 1990s Chevy truck. At some point they changed the terminal connections and chime sounds for different year trucks. I used one out of a truck in my Camaro to get the key chime to work again.

Mike81K10:
You might want to look over the wiring diagrams in the technical area of the forum. Also look at the location where you were fishing wires through the firewall to see if you can find damage.

bd:

--- Quote from: Jon87V20 on April 24, 2022, 06:56:50 PM ---I was fishing some new wire through the firewall in my '87 Suburban V20 recently and I noticed it no longer triggers the chiming sound when the key is turned to the "ON" position.

--- End quote ---

It's not supposed to chime in the key ON position.  Reiterating, the chime should sound: (1) with the key in the ignition, ignition OFF, door open, (2) key in or out, ignition OFF, running lights ON, and (3) for 3-5 seconds when the ignition is initially switched ON with the driver seat belt unclipped.  The wires dislodged from the door switch are likely the cause.

sgrinavi:
Oh great, something else that doesn't work on my truck lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version