73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Interior & Equipment

Courtesy light issue

(1/3) > >>

Jeff86inMS:
Looking to trace down an electrical issue related to the under dash courtesy light.  I have a 1986 custom deluxe.  There is only one door jam switch on the drivers side, passenger side looks to be plugged from the factory.  I have replaced the light socket under the dash with one from  .  I know it’s getting power because the orange power wire shorted on the dash as I was testing it and it blew the fuse.  I disconnected the battery, spliced in the new socket, still doesn’t work.  The switch only has one wire to it, but the switch has two blades for a connection.  Should there be two wires going to that switch?  Did I mention I hate auto electrical issues?  I am determined to fix it though!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike81K10:
The door switch is a ground when the door opens. If you have power to the switch it could be the bulb or a ground problem.

bd:
How many wires connect to the courtesy lamp socket?

Jeff86inMS:
Because it’s an aftermarket socket, there is a white wire for power (according to the directions) and a black wire for ground.  I connected these to the corresponding wires there were cut from the old socket.  Came with a new bulb as well. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bd:
Not all courtesy lamps operate when the doors open.  Have you tried rotating the headlamp switch knob all the way CCW?  If the lamp works by rotating the knob, you can add door open lamp control by installing an additional wire to the door jamb switch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version