Author Topic: Fuel Pressure Regulator  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Clintond

Fuel Pressure Regulator
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »
Has anyone converted a dead head regulator to return style?  I found these tips on another forum:

Got a tip on how to make the "dead head" regulator work as a return regulator.  Basically remove the check ball. Use one of the outlets as the inlet. The inlet now becomes the return. The other oulet remains as an outlet.  I am in the process of upgrading my fuel system on the 66 Beaumont.  Just a couple of fittings to go and I can test it.  My fuel system plumbing is complete and the modified fuel pressure regulator seems to be working just fine with the ball, small spring and retainer removed.  Set the fuel pressure at 6 psi and will try it there.  It has been raining here for a week and the first race of the season was rained out last weekend.

Offline HAULIN IT

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
Clinton, Yes many years ago I did this with a regular Holley regulator. The truth is it makes more sense than the other way because your not restricting the fuel to raise the pressure.
 I also made one with a vacuum nipple above the diaphram to make it "vacuum referenced"...high vacuum would pull the needle up & let more gas return, when the vacuum would go to no/low, the needle would shut (by the spring pressure) & the fuel would all go to the carb. Lorne