Author Topic: rear wheel steering conversion  (Read 3510 times)

Offline aprice

• Registered Users
rear wheel steering conversion
« on: March 10, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »
has anyone done a rear wheel conversion to a truck? i thought it would be neat to do for a project this summer and wondering how others have done it and what problems they ran in to?

Offline DrpdShrty

rear wheel steering
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 11:57:00 PM »
hey man i wouldnt go through the trouble to try to convert it.  For one thing you arent gonna get much use out of it, and for another, my buddys dad has a 2002 chevy with the quadrasteer and its already gone out on him.  just my opinion though. Good Luck.

Offline aprice

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 03:08:00 PM »
well the truck i would be converting would be for off road and for playing with in the mud. i've gotten in to some tight spots where it might have helped. but it ouwl be more so for the reason fo saying i've done it and have it lol

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
Re: rear wheel steering conversion
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »
I say go for it.  If you've got the truck to "F" around with than have fun!  So, what's your plan"?  Put, a front axle in the back?  Hydro steering?  Let us know what you had in mind.  Sounds like fun.

Offline aprice

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 12:35:00 AM »
well i thought about finding a couple danna 60 front axles to use, unless there is somthing stronger.? and i havent figured/thought about how to steer it. i'm thinkin it would have to be hydrolic and have side of center locking when not needed sice that axles are most vulnerable to damage/breaking when turned

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »
That's what I was thinking...the dana 60, and maybe something like "Rock Ram" hyd.  steering.

Offline aprice

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 10:06:00 AM »
although oscarone i think we looked over something. ussually the pumkin on the front axles are off centered right? would there be some way to that? a buddy of mine pointed that out when i was tellin him about it.

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »
Yep...that would make for one goofy drive!  Another thing we overlooked is if you used a front axle you would have to flip the diff.  Now your axle would drive backwords.  However, the rock crawlers do it all the time.  It may be a matter of pulling everything from the outer axle tube from a front 60 and pressing it on to a rear one.  Then be sure the actual axle shafts from the rear will work and drive the "front stuff".  That is, the splines match and they are the correct length.