Author Topic: worried about rear end  (Read 2033 times)

Offline 78chev2bnice

worried about rear end
« on: June 06, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »
Over the weekend I got a flat tire on the gravel road and didn't notice it until I hit the highway whivh was about 2 miles.  I screwed the tire right up but now I'm worried about the rearend.  It's a posi and twice in one day when I take a corner the inside tire locks up sort of and squeeks a little bit.  I jacked the truck up and turned the one tire and the other tire rotates the opposite direction then I put the tranny in neutral and spun the drive shaft and both tires went the same direction.  I put my foot down between each of the tires and the tire would stop turning and the other would continue to turn.  It will still spin both tires while driving(lightly spun them on the gravel).  Which is the quickest way to determine if the rearend would be going.  

Offline TRUCK6DRIVER

Re: worried about rear end
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »
Pull the cover and do a visual inspection on the carrier assembly. If you can pull the pin and inspect the spider gears, friction unit and the pin for excessive wear. You can do this without removing the carrier or changing any settings on the rear. I have seen some posi's make noise when they needed serviced. If you do not see anything wrong after inspection, service it with a good posi lube and a tube of powered graphite. Test drive it and see if the noise is still there. From the discription you gave, the carrier may need rebuilt.

RH