Author Topic: what year of vortec?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline shortchevy84

what year of vortec?
« on: July 05, 2005, 01:30:00 AM »
hey all, i'm looking for vortec heads/intake and rockers. and i'm told there is 2 kinds of vortec. pre and post 1996. as far as i know, the only difference is before 96 the 350 was only a 5.6 liter or something, instead of the 5.7 or something like that?? i have a 350 5.7 liter, and want the heads that would fit it. is there a specific casting number i should be looking for, for a good head, or even one i should watch out for? there is a shop in town that offers sandblasted and crack tested vortec heads for 200 bucks each canadian. they are used, and bare. is that worth it?? i want to get all new valves and springs unless i don't have to. my next problem, if i get them new, i would also need the correct rockers and covers too, along with a manifold. the manifold i would probably just get edelbrock etec or whatever there vortec version is called now. but how much do the rockers, and springs cost new? i would prefer roller rockers if possible. anyway, i'm rambling on. thanks for the help. oh, and if you read this roundedline, is there a reason all the post are kind of randomly splayed rather than in chronological order? probably due to the ezpost being hacked i would assume. thanks for doing your best for keeping this site working!!!

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: what year of vortec?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 09:54:00 AM »
The Vortec heads you want are 96-99 that were installed on the 5.7L (350) motors.  The 5.3L (326) motors are based on the LS1 design and won't work on your engine.

Here is a link of info for the Vortec heads you want:
chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97458/

Not sure why everything is screwed up, but it looks ok to me now....

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project