73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

Dual Tanks Switch Valve?

(1/6) > >>

discot315:
Hey I need some help from anyone who can help me, My 1980 K10 has dual tanks but it well always stay on the left tank even if I hit the switch to the right one... And the right ones FULL  >:( left is almost empty... lol.  I heard a little while ago if I got someone to hit the switch while I was holding my hand on the switching valve I should feel it click or something?? I didnt so im guessing its the switching valve. I was getting some parts for my motor at NAPA (I live in Canada by the way) And I aws curious about it so I asked if they could order me in one and they said I would have to go to GM for that? ???

discot315:
Just wondering if anyone has had the same kind of trouble and could give me some advice, or a place I could get a new switching valve thing. Thanks -Trevor

Cody1018:
It could be the switch valve or the actual switch it self that isnt working. Ive had some trouble with my dual gas tanks as well. The gas gauge wont read. Even when i change it from side to side. The right gas tank is empty and when i change it to that it eventually dies. So i know the sending units and switch valve are working, but im not sure why it wont read fuel. Any ideas on what to do?

78 Chevyrado:
If you have a voltmeter, have a friend help you do this test.

unplug the wire on the valve (I'm assuming your valve has a single wire like mine) and put a voltmeter between the wire and a ground, then have the helper switch the switch.  If it's like the one on my 78, you should have 12 volts when the switch is set to the left tank, and 0 volts when it is set to the right tank.

If you're not getting power, probably the switch needs to be taken apart and cleaned.  I haven't seen a bad switch yet, only dirty ones.   What the problem always is on the ones I have seen is that GM used a type of foam as a dust seal for the switch and when the foam goes bad it falls apart and gets on the contacts an blocks the electricity flow.    Just clean it out and put some non conductive grease in there and thats all there is to it.

If you do have power to the valve, unless theres a bad connection, the valve is bad.  You can try tapping on it, lightly (dot beat it up)  to see if it will free up, but once they quit, they're done.  

To get to the fuel in the full tank, just swap the hoses that go into the valve from the tanks, just remember thats what you have done.

Edit:  you posted before I got done typing... ;D

If it wont read the fuel levels, theres a bad connection, bad ground, or shorted out wire somewhere in the lines.

VileZambonie:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=9072.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version