73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Electrical

i goofed up and switched the battery terminals

(1/4) > >>

watahyahknow:
hi everyone , been a while since i was here (cashflow problems and lack of time mostly )
i have a problem after hooking up the battery terminals backward  :-[, (truck is stored and i needed to move it so i hooked up the battery in low light and done it wrong) right after connecting the terminal without the contact on i heared sumting pop near the dash but cant find where
its a 86 c10 and a picture pointing me to where to look would realy help as i only heared recently about fusible links and stuff like that

VileZambonie:
Search fusible links on here. It's been discussed countless times.

75gmck25:
When I made the same error (isn't it great how the original battery cables were both black?), it burned the fusible link that runs straight down from the junction on the firewall next to the brake booster.  I bought a 14 gauge GM fusible link from the parts store and spliced it in as a replacement.

Bruce

My85Chevy:
Wow what luck to find what I need right here in the recent topics.   So I did the same thing as the initial poster, and it sounds like I burnt the same exact wire on my 85 C10.  It's the only wire going to that junction box that has two separate sized terminals on the connection.  I'm confused with the "fusible link" part.  I bought some 14 gauge wire and used a butt connector to reconnect the line. I now have my power and the truck turns over, but acts like it's getting no spark.  Where am I looking or this fusible link?

Thanks for any help. I just did the body work and paint and am now into the interior on my restoration project.  I need to get this thing running again!

bd:
Post a pic.  Sounds like the wire you replaced with 14-gauge primary wire was actually the fusible link.  Fusible links are a subclass of fuses that are ultra-high-current, very slow acting, and installed at the inception of a main power bus.  Replacement criteria are very specific.  The factory fusible link at the firewall junction block on your 85 C10 is [was] 6" long and made from 16-gauge fusible wire.  Primary wire IS NOT a viable replacement for fusible wire!  In the interim, disconnect the battery until the fusible link is properly replaced with the correct gauge and length or you will run the risk of electrical fire and burning the truck to the ground.  See the 1985 Wiring Manual, the topic Fusible Links in Fuses and Circuit Protection, and How to make a Fusible Link for relevant information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version