Author Topic: More Oomph, less thirsty  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Twisted Noodle

• New Users
More Oomph, less thirsty
« on: September 28, 2010, 06:29:21 AM »
I just bought my 81 C30 454 3speed. I'm looking to get a wee bit more out of it but also making it fuel efficient. I am looking a a couple aluminum dual plane intakes. (anyone use the Chinese knock-offs?) and a set of headers. Like one of the other members I am looking to lower it on air bags this winter after a few other objectives are complete. I have to keep that in mind with the headers. I did find a set locally for a 100 bucks, I might just jump on them and worry about them being too low below the frame later on because who knows lowering it might not happen. I want to concentrate on drivability first. Then I found a bunch of rust I didn't know it had. Just on the doors so they will be replaced.

.. anyways back to the engine. It has the original carb on it (I think). I am not too familiar with carb as I am mostly a fuel injection guy. Would you upgrade to a different one if you had the option? This isn't going to be driven daily. It's purpose is a hauler to haul my Dodge Shelby's around in. Normally I drive them to shows but we have a couple coming up a little further away and it gets a little hairy drag racing them then driving them home..

Over all I absolutely love this truck but I would like to get a little more mileage out of it. I drove it around for about 200 miles and that was a whole tank of gas.. eek. lol
1981 Chevy Crew C-30, 454 3 speed +granny
2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT (Turbo)
1987 Dodge Shelby Lancer #149 (Turbo) *Victim of female texting on her cell phone*

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: More Oomph, less thirsty
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:50:20 AM »
Gearing and tuning is the key.  If you have a dually and get 10 that isn't to bad really.  I have gotten 15-16 with my 454 no tailgate but normally 13 is what I get.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: More Oomph, less thirsty
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »
Sanderson makes mid length headers, that is what I will use on my 454.

If it has a Q-jet and you want good mileage, don't change it, rebuild it. 

Is it a dually?  With the gearing, and a 454 12 is going to be about the best you will get out of it keeping speeds around 55mph, you may squeeze more, but it won't be much more.  If you invest in a Overdrive trans it may help some.