Author Topic: Best way to rebuild A/C?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Kardolf

• New Users
Best way to rebuild A/C?
« on: September 14, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »
I've got a 73 C10 that came with AC, but the system has never worked since I've owned it. I'd like to get some cooling as I start working on getting the truck usable again. Am I better off going with stock components or is there a more modern set up that would drop in and make my life easier?

Offline enaberif

Re: Best way to rebuild A/C?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
Stock components retrofitted to 134a. You'll have to replace a bunch of parts but its the easiest way.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 01:41:10 PM »
Stock components retrofitted to 134a. You'll have to replace a bunch of parts but its the easiest way.
This is pretty much it. Yes you will have to replace some parts most likely (due to age) but using all stock components will make it the easiest to rebuild and you shouldn't have to worry as much about fit and finish like you might with aftermarket kits.

The retro fit kit from R12 to R134a is cheap. It's some seals, o-rings, service valves and a conversion label.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »
This is pretty much it. Yes you will have to replace some parts most likely (due to age) but using all stock components will make it the easiest to rebuild and you shouldn't have to worry as much about fit and finish like you might with aftermarket kits.

The retro fit kit from R12 to R134a is cheap. It's some seals, o-rings, service valves and a conversion label.

Frankly, it's a little more involved than this ^^^^.

Without going into too much detail this early-on, in addition to the retrofit kit mentioned above, you should plan on flushing the system, replacing the accumulator and orifice tube and adding the appropriate amount of fresh ester oil.  It will be prudent to draw a vacuum on the system before teardown, to determine whether it will maintain a vacuum overnight.  If it won't hold a vacuum, then you will need to determine where the leak is as part of your retrofit process.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:51:58 PM »

Frankly, it's a little more involved than this ^^^^.

Without going into too much detail this early-on, in addition to the retrofit kit mentioned above, you should plan on flushing the system, replacing the accumulator and orifice tube and adding the appropriate amount of fresh ester oil.  It will be prudent to draw a vacuum on the system before teardown, to determine whether it will maintain a vacuum overnight.  If it won't hold a vacuum, then you will need to determine where the leak is as part of your retrofit process.
I know it's more involved but I didn't want to throw to much out there before we found out what parts he has and what might be missing. And how much he may have already tried to do or had done. We should probably ask those questions.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Kardolf

• New Users
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 06:45:14 PM »
Thanks. As I mentioned, the A/C has never worked since I got the vehicle which has now been more than 10 years. I believe that it still is set up for the R12, but I'm not 100% certain. I would imagine pretty much every component needs to be replaced with the possible exception of any A/C lines.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 06:53:24 PM »
You might find that among the parts that need replacing, the lines are the ones that will need to be replaced. Generally speaking, the evaporator and condenser don't go bad or leak unless they become physically damaged, (most times anyway). You should start with what BD recommended, but I would also recommend the lines, the rubber deteriorates over time. Then you can do a vacuum test to determine if there are any other leaks. My 73 is still using the original evaporator and condenser, A/C is nice and cold, I did have new lines made for it with modern and more durable rubber.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 07:09:17 PM »
Before you condemn the entire system except for the lines, why don't you just diagnose it? It could just be a low refrigerant charge.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »
Before you condemn the entire system except for the lines, why don't you just diagnose it? It could just be a low refrigerant charge.
x2

my 94 was a gift to my wife on her 16th birthday from her parents. she wrecked it and trashed the whole front end. a friend of ours put a new front clip on and it had r12 system and her truck had a 134a system. a few years went by and i was tired of it not having ac. so i did some research and found the right parts that would work together, found out the correct amount of Freon and oil from vile. replaced the accumulator cause it was open then vacuumed the system for a day and filled her up. she still blows colder and has outlasted my 04 impala impalas a/c
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes