Author Topic: ½ / ¾ ton lift kit on 1 ton?  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
½ / ¾ ton lift kit on 1 ton?
« on: November 08, 2014, 02:30:27 AM »
u was under the impression that ½&¾ springs wont work with a 1 ton. little did i know they all are 2½" so the ½ ton lift can fit in the 1ton shackles (for the front) the rear i understand are longer 56" on 1 tons and some ¾ the rest are 52".

so i have a lift on my 79 right now. i been steeling parts off it for the crew cab, so im thinking of taking the front springs and using blocks for the rear for now. but the problem is when i measured my 1 ton on the tape it was something like 2¾" for the most part. so in theory they can swap but how will this work on the dana 60? there has to be something im missing
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline TIGUY

• New Users
Re: ½ / ¾ ton lift kit on 1 ton?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:12:14 PM »
generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Chevrolet_GMC_Truck_3500_1973_1991_s/1833.htm?searching=Y&sort=11&cat=1833&show=10&page=1

This site may help...

Offline fitz

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:07:35 AM »
The only issue with a lift kit on a Dana 60 front axle is the passenger side where  GM  used 1 U bolt and 2 bolts to secure the front axle (unlike a 10 bolt that uses 4 U bolts). The lift kit spring is usually thicker (more leafs) so you will need longer bolts.
Off Road Design sells a stud set up to replace the bolts. I think it was about $40 for the kit that includes 3 U bolts, 2 studs, and all of the washers and nuts. I used this kit when I installed a 2" lift on my M1028. I can grab a picture of the stud set up on my truck later today if you want.
The 2" spring width is not a problem

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 04:37:38 AM »
what about the kingpin? whats size lift is ok with stock steering stuff

Offline Engineer

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »
I ran 18.5-44/16.5 Gumbo Mudders on my stock Dana60 axle with 8" suspension, and 3" body lift.

Only ran one (the factory) steering stabilizer.

However, if your kingpins are starting to show wear bigger tires will really exaggerate your problems.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline 77c15

• Frequent Member
  • combustion=suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • My cardomain site...
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:44:34 PM »
Have you done anything with this? I'm curious if you've encountered death wobble yet. There are a few suggestions to try but I highly discourage crossover steering.
Stomp my flag and I will stomp your @$$!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 07:47:20 PM »
no i didnt do anything on the lift kit. just due to my excuse for the truck was for it to be a "family"' truck and the wife said it was ok if it was for that lol. but yes i did have the death wobble and i still have it every now and then but its not like before. its been a bit so i cant remember if i did it all at the same time or not. but i replaced the steering stabilizer and put washers in the kingpins. this helped a lot but every now and then when im on the brakes she will shake but if i let go and reapply the brakes it will stop. i got one more fix if it doesnt work then i will replace the brakes as im sure they are part of the problem.