Author Topic: Trimming fenders  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Oldsmolet

Trimming fenders
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:06:16 AM »
So I see lots of people trimming just the bottom of the fender. I'm going to try to squeeze 37s on a truck I just bought. It's not in the greatest of shape but isn't horrible either.  I been cleaning it up some and just making look more presentable. I'm building a crew cab so this is just to hold me over. Just the bottom trimmed looks off to me.  My thought is cutting from high up towards the top of the arch pie cut and moving it all back at an angle then bend the fender trim to match.  Possible? Anyone else do it? Bottom half is black so easy to match.

Offline enaberif

Re: Trimming fenders
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »
Unless you have a 6" lift minimum you will need to trim a lot.

And if that is your truck there is no way I could cut fenders.

Offline Oldsmolet

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »
Pictures make the truck look way better than it is.   Also from that angle the tires look like they fit better. They look tiny in real life. 

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »
May also want to check out this article if you haven't already:
http://coloradok5.com/fendertrim.shtml

Offline Oldsmolet

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:31:57 PM »
That article is how I've always seen it done but did give some ideas. I'd like to keep the lip for a completed look.  Also an idea cutting the front.  Cut the bottom off like he did then cut another section out and weld the bottom back on for a completed look.   I have a rough fender I may try this stuff on first.

Offline fitz

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 05:03:41 AM »
  Therr was a member in here (I think it was DV8customs) that did something similar to what you mentioned.  If I remember correctly, he lowered the arch on the front fenders on a bagged/lowered 2w.d. truck. His looked great. I've always wondered how that idea would carry over by "stretching" the wheel opening on a 4x4.
  The surplus Military 37"s sell for cheap money. Looking forward to your project.

Offline Oldsmolet

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 09:44:24 AM »
Well projects out until I find another truck. Sold the truck.  Wasn't trying to just got offered too much.  I got a few I'm looking at this weekend or may dump the cash into finishing the crew cab.  It's tall enough the fenders don't need trimmed though. Lol.  I think this is a good idea though and the way ill do it if need be.