Author Topic: Need direction  (Read 4028 times)

Offline 77 Chevy Stepside RLW

• I love old Chevy's...
Need direction
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:03:37 AM »
Hello,

I am currently trying to rebuild a truck that was stripped down to a rolling chassis.
It is a 1977 Chevy Silverado C-10 step-side; rpo codes: LS9 and F44 was the first two codes that jumped at me.
Now for my question the warning light indicators i.e. brake, turn and high beam are all missing from the cluster housing. Also gone is the metal shield that goes between the plastic lens cover and the gauges themselves. I have rewired the truck correctly and would like to finish the truck right. The junkyard parts are either cracked or missing as well. Does anyone re-manufacture these little guys? Thank you for your help in advance.

Keep the shiny side up!! 8)
Keep the Shiny side up!! B)

• I love old Chevy's...
Re: Need direction
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:13:36 AM »
Anything out of 28 views  ???..... come on someone has to know of something... anything?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 03:05:30 AM »
well welcome impatient one. the reason no one has posted anything is because they dont know anything. there are people on here that know what you need but i assure you they haven't seen your post yet. now one little rule i have if i see someone double posting i just simply ignore them and go on my marry way. the only place i can think of that has these parts we cant mention on here because they dont pay for sponsorship and are a competitor. but just give it sometime someone that knows off hand should reply.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 04:55:20 AM »
I don't really understand your question. What do you mean they are missing? Physically missing or are you saying they do not function? Sounds like you just need a new cluster. Used clusters are plentiful or upgrade to a Dakota setup for a simple direct fit.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

• I love old Chevy's...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:59:21 AM »
Well I apologize for being impatient Irish_Alley not intended; as for the double post it was done because I was unsure if I posted it in the wrong topic. I have just spent hours on the internet looking for these little lenses. As for competition okay so somebody does make them just have to be clever in finding them. 
 As for the Dakota gauges VileZambonie; I really want to keep the truck original as it is going to go to my sister so she can do with it as she see's fit (its a surprise). They are not there I didn't even realize it until I looked closer at the cluster I might just have to break down and get creative with some junkyard parts and refurbish a stock dash cluster.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:31:54 AM »
lol Patience is a Virtu. we are he to help as much as we can. and the double post thing thats just me i dont know for others. but if someone is cool and not a butt i dont mind helping one bit. but act a fool and i just dont respond. dont know if others are like that but keep that in mind. but i must stress not implying anything to you yet as i dont know you. seem cool so far, i mean you do own a chevy ;)
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »
They're still plentiful. Look for parts trucks, look on eBay, look on craigslist or scour the junkyards www.car-part.com
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »
The metal instrument basket cover is *very* difficult to find.  Now for the good news: there is one for sale on ebay RIGHT NOW for $9.  It says plastic, but that is the correct part, and it's a metal stamping.  You can tell looking at it.  And it is the correct blue color on the back, which is to reflect the light back on the gauges.  GO GET IT NOW.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-87-GMC-Truck-Chevy-Pickup-Instrument-cluster-black-plastic-gauge-cover-bezel-/141016566850?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d53e0c42&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:51:33 AM by bd »
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

• I love old Chevy's...
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:59:24 AM »
 ;D
Thank you folks! The dash piece is mine and in route. Now to find these light filters.

• I love old Chevy's...
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 02:00:41 AM »
turned out to be plastic not metal but hey not that expensive but thanks for the heads up!

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »
I thought I remembered that on mine it was metal, but I could have mis-recalled or it could have been changed during the 1973-1987 period. 

Is it the right part for between the lens and the gauge basket?
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift