Author Topic: Mirror installation problem  (Read 20349 times)

Offline wideboots

Mirror installation problem
« on: March 10, 2006, 08:01:00 AM »
:rolleyes  

I bought a set of OME replacement mirrors for my 1978 Chevy 1/2 ton truck on e bay and they are beautiful chrome mirrors.  These mirrors were said to be original equipment on this year truck and I have, in fact, seen these mirrors on zillions of trucks.  

The problem is:  The mounting base that goes against the truck door is concave to fit the curve of the door.  The curve appears to be way too much for my door.  I took pictures of the mirror, but cannot figure out how to post it here.  Bummer>:   The mirrors come with a black piece of plastic that is supposed to go against the truck door before mounting the mirror.  Does this piece of plastic pull up tight against the mirror when mounted to compensate for the curve?  Any advice?  I don't want to start drilling holes in my brand new paint job for these mirrors until I can figure out what I am doing wrong.  The mirrors came in a box which indicates it is for a 78 Chevy truck.  Thanks bunches.  

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Mirror installation problem
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 07:08:00 AM »
Can you flaten it out with a rubber mallet and a block of wood?

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline wideboots

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 07:13:00 AM »
Negative.

This is on the curved surface of the mirror base and is manufactured with a curve.  Sure do wish I could post the pictures I have. :rolleyes  Anyone know how to do that.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 07:20:00 AM »
They sound like the mirrors from and 81  & up truck. The 74 - 80 ones have three legs with one bolt through each one.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »
If you go to the readers rides page. Do they look like the ones on the Blazer in the first picture or do they look like the ones on the pick up in the fourth picture?

Offline wideboots

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »
I know the ones you are talking about.  I had some of those on my 75.  These have a semi triangle shape with the small end toward the bottom and according to cataloges, are for 78 through 81.  The arm that connects to the mirror goes into the top or big side of the triangle base .  

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »
I might be off a couple years for the change but I didn't think they started as early as 78. Anyway the newer style ones i have found the curve isn't exact but all the ones I have seen are real close. The curve in the door changes, it gets more pronounced as it gets closer to the leading edge. the post of the mirror should just about line up with the window track / vent window post. And they are mounted about 3/4" to an 1" down from top. Just make sure you are not back to far as the vent window will hit the mirror.

Edited by: Blazin at: 3/10/06 8:30 am

Offline wideboots

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 07:30:00 AM »
Don't know where the "readers rides" are, but in the "Truck Galleries" on the 73-87 ChevyTrucks.com site the first truck has the exact mirrors I have.  

Offline wideboots

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »
The piece of black plastic that mounts against the truck door has three pegs (one in each corner).  Do these go against the door or are they pointed toward the mirror.  The installation instructions don't speak to these pegs at all.  You are being very helpful.  Thank you very much.  

Offline wideboots

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »
I found the "Reader's Rides" you were speaking of (finally).  My mirrors are exactly like the ones on the Blazer.  

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »
Dennis,
to have pictures displayed on EZ board you have to have them uploaded to the web and linked to here.

Have you figured out the problem?

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline wideboots

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »
No, I haven't.  I am still trying to find out what the three pegs on the back (or front depending on how it is mounted) of the black plastic piece is.  Do they go toward the door or the mirrors?  

Do you have any ideas or maybe a set of detailed instructions for these type of mirrors.  The ones included with these mirrors are almost worthless.  Nice mirrors though if I can just figure out how to get them properly mounted.   Thanks for any ideas you might have roundedline.

Where do I upload pictures to the web?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
The three pegs on the plastic go through the holes in the mirror base.
I measured my 87 GMC 1500 4x4 tonight, it has the original doors on it, so these mesurements should be on the money. The bottom of the mirror base cover should be 3 & 11/16" up from the body line, about a 1/2" downfrom the sharp round edge rolling into the window, & 6 & 3/4" back from the leading edge of the door off the top of the mount base cover. The post that the mirror head goes on that comes up out of the mount is just a shade ahead of the front window track. The mount base is the same for left and right sides, the holes are different from right to left to compensate for this. Did yuo get the brackets that goe inside the doors? There is a right and a left bracket that goes from one of the mirror mount bolts to the door shell frame, the part the window regulator, interior panel mounts too etc.

Edited by: Blazin at: 3/10/06 8:16 pm

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »
wideboots, ez way to load is go through Imageshack.net, or Photobucket, I actually use my MySpace editor. Go to browse photos and pick the pic or pics you want, and upload, it will give you a URL code. Copy it and paste in your next post. It should work that way.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 04:00:00 AM »
So you need to drill the 3 holes for the jack nuts (squash nuts) first. OEM there was a bracket on the backside inside the doorshell to help support the mirror.

click here
And I am assuming you are talking about one of these mirrors like on my truck?

The door skin will slightly flex and they will sit ok. Usually you want to install them before you paint so you don't risk cracking the paint but as long as you center punch your holes and crefully step drill (I believe the squash nuts are 1/4-20 thread on these) up to the proper hole size and carefully tighten down each of the bolts gradually you should do fine. Just make sure you drill exactly where you want your holes or your mirror will sit crooked. You might want to make a template off of an OEM door.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10