Author Topic: "Defy" quaker state oil  (Read 11366 times)

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
"Defy" quaker state oil
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:45:46 AM »
Anyone use or see this?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: "Defy" quaker state oil
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »
      My half brother has a ford mini van that was leaking oil everywhere.  We got another engine for it, while we were waiting for the engine he heard about this oil.  So he started using it, most of the oil leaks have stopped enough that the new engine is still sitting in his garage.  I don't agree with this mind set, but the oil did seem to stop most of the leaks since all we did was change oil and put this in, nothing else was done to the engine.
    I am not endorsing the oil, but synthetic oil that is produced for higher mileage vehicles is suppose to have additives added to replenish seals and such.  Not that all are created equal either.  Just a personal experience because you asked.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:59:59 AM »
Hey cool

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
I'd be leery of any motor oil with Pennzoil or Quaker State on the bottle....Both are known culprits for EXTREME sludge/slime buildup in lifter valleys at the least.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »
The quaker state sludge issue was what 40 years ago when paraffin was used and people didn't change their oil? I wouldn't hesitate to use either and Pennzoil is one of the only companies giving factual information about their oil on the bottle.

Look up what the percentage of synthetic oil is in a synthetic blend by different manufacturers and see what you can come up with.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠―――――'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »
Well I just changed the oil again for the third time today and used the defy and a small bottle of zddp additive. Guess we will see so far all is good.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:10:35 AM »
I'd be leery of any motor oil with Pennzoil or Quaker State on the bottle....Both are known culprits for EXTREME sludge/slime buildup in lifter valleys at the least.
all i use is Pennzoil as long as your not lazy and change it your oil wont sludge or burn up. the motor in my 79 has been in a buddys 88 blazer that he killed the trans, my 86 c10 that killed a trans and rear. and shes still running strong in my 79k2500 when i mud in it alll the time
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:30:44 AM »
My personal experience with both penz and QS oil has been contrary to opinions posted here. If you feel comfortable using it, go for it. I will never purchase motor oil from either brand, at any price, with any promise. Shell Rotella-T 15w40 is all I run in my flat tappet engines, my nissan gets Castrol Syntec 10w30, my wife's cavalier gets mobil 1 5w30, and my Kawasaki gets Castrol GTX 20w50.

The fact that Defy oil has zinc in it is a definite plus, and would contribute to reduced wear, but my experience tempered bias wont let me recommend pennzoil or Quaker state motor oil to anyone, even at my store where all we carry is house brand oil, penz, quaker state, and rotella T.
Chris
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:33:35 AM »
So what happened that has you against the quaker crowd? didn't rottela have foaming issues?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:22:56 AM by 454Man »

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:54:44 PM »
I wouldn't really call what builds up in quaker/pennzoil engines sludge as much as i would call it slime. 1991 c1500 TBI 350, owned by the same guy since it rolled off the truck. The guy has moderate OCD, and scrapped this otherwise mint condition truck after seeing what was in his lifter valley and oil pan. Oil was changed with quaker state every 3000 miles dead money, with a wix filter, by the owner himself. He asked my uncle to take a look and see if he could find a leak, because he saw one drop of oil on the pavement in his driveway. I had been at my uncle's pond fishing when he was looking at it, so I stuck around to see if I could learn something. There was a very small intake manifold gasket leak, and an even smaller pan gasket leak. Intake manifold came off to get new gaskets and RTV, and in the bottom of the lifter valley, partially plugging the drainback holes was a substance comperable in color and texture to almost black chocolate pudding. Nasty, ok, no big deal, we showed the guy what we found, and he looked like he was going to lose his lunch. Got the top end cleaned out and buttoned back together and dropped the pan off, and the bottom of the pan was clean, but the oil pump pickup was covered in an even thicker, stickier version of what we found in the top end, the sides had it built up half an inch thick all the way across. After showing him the pan, thats when he decided he never wanted to see the truck again. At 15 years old, that made a lasting impression.
Chris

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
Ok. guess I will run some trans fluid through every now and then.its God to know release one oil manufacture is making oil for older engines and not pricing it sky high. I'd like to run that brad penn but $$$ and everyday mileage add up too quick to where it doesn't make much sense, so I pick what seems good and add zddp additive to it.

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »
My duaghter had a Geo Tracker  with 220,000 + miles that smoked a little and not just when you cranked it. I switched it over to Valvoline MAX Life oil and it quit smoking. I was really impressed. The price was wasn't too bad either since it was a blend of synthetic and conventional oil if I remember correctly.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 01:59:46 AM »
I've never had a problem with valvoline, and know a couple of mechanics that swear by it. I know I used to use valvoline 10w30 in my lawn tractor that doubled as a sidewalk snow pusher in the winter and liked it because even after two seasons, the oil was still light gold.
Rotella-T 15w40 i believe is still unrestricted on the phosphorus content, so it has a large additive package (zddp).
Chris