Author Topic: A little popping From carb.  (Read 12651 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: A little popping From carb.
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »
I know i advanced the timing, but how does that technically make such a difference, i mean with the popping and all?

When you floor it, you dump a bunch of fuel and if the timing isn't advanced enough the engine won't rev fast enough and the carb pops some of the fuel out.  I've had to tighten the spring on the secondaries to keep the back barrels from opening too soon on WOT, running 36 degrees total advance.  Fine balancing act to get everything right running a stock quadrajet on a stock car.

Word:

i had a backfire out of the carb a few days ago right after i started the new engine.    Not to mention trouble keeping the engine running.  i advanced the timing a bit and it took care of those problems.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
LOL!!!

Seriously, i wish several of us could get together and have a little 73-87 tune-up party.  That would be great.

SQUAREFEST

i actually have access to a suitable space---both outdoors AND indoors.  And yes, a tune-up clinic should definitely be a part of it.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
A little popping From carb.
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 09:41:58 PM »
That would be awesome! We could walk around to each others truck and just keep fixing and tuning stuff. We could invite a AC DELCO rep. with tons of parts on hand. Lol
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 09:43:38 PM »
Not that im going to, but how do you tighten that spring on the secondaries?

To be honest I don't remember, my sponsor at the time of my stock car did the fine tuning.  All I remember is I had an occasional pop but a hesitation every time I floored it.  He used a small screw driver and fixed it right up.  Mind you this was an early 70's Rochester on a put together junk yard 350 engine in my hobby stock

NICE!!!
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 12:19:53 AM »
my mud truck would occasionally back fire. tilli took rich's advice and hooked my vacuum advance to the manifold and made sure it was working then went to 16 or so on the timing
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
Thats probably where im at now. Truck starts better, faster, smoother, feels like more hp.