Author Topic: body bushings  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
body bushings
« on: April 30, 2003, 06:04:00 PM »
these hard to change? I assume the bolts are really 'easy' to get out and i should only do one side at a time. I figure the ones up front will be the worst. Where can i buy a 'set' for a good price? mine are all shot and the whole thing cracks and creaks offroading. mostly the bed.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Bushings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 06:22:00 AM »
If you live where there is no rust they will probably come out easy. I have found that doing one at a time or all at once is about the same amount of dificulty. The front ones need to have the grill removed on pre. 80 trucks to get to the bolt heads, 81 and up you should be able to use a long extension and go down through the radiator suport.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: Bushings
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 08:43:00 AM »
Actually removing all at once will give you a bit more room to work while putting the new mounts in.  Also, dont torque any down until you have them all in place with the bolts started.  USE LOTS OF ANTISIEZE ON THE BOLTS.

Energy Suspension are the only body mounts that i would use.  I have their master kit on my truck and love it.  It greatly stiffens up those squishy and squeaky areas.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205

Offline 83CHEVY

• Registered Users
Re: body bushings
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 10:57:00 AM »
Chances are that they will NOT be easy to get out.  After taking two of them out with a 26 inch long breaker bar and whining about my sore muscles for two days, I went and bought an impact wrench.  The others were tough to get out even with the impact wrench, but a lot easier than without it.

Get the Energy Suspension bushings.  They are high quality and fit perfect.

I still need to make a how to web page on this.  Darn kids and yard work are keeping me too busy.

Mike

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
body bushings
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 10:32:00 PM »
I would not recomend an impact on the rear cab bushings.  If you bust a bolt you will need to drill a hole in the back of the cab floor to get it out.  Soak the bolts for a few days in mouse milk or another pen.  oil first.  If you use the Energy suspension you will need to cut the sleeve on the back mounts down.  Other than that it's a snap.  I did min in about an hour two weeks ago.  No big deal.