Author Topic: 84 k10 5.3 swap with 4l60e trans questions?? help??  (Read 5880 times)

Offline 84Silverado4x4

• Registered Users
84 k10 5.3 swap with 4l60e trans questions?? help??
« on: October 17, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »
I did my 5.3, 4l60e swap in my 84 k10 here a little over a year ago and really enjoy the truck.  Everything on the truck works great for normal daily driving but one thing I have been dealing with is that the transmission doesn't like to upshift when I am at 3/4 to full throttle.  It goes right up against rev limiter and just kind of hangs for a bit and I have to completely let off the throttle and give it a few seconds before it will up shift.  Anyone else ever have this?  The truck was custom tuned but it had this issue even when it was on the stock bench flash tune.  I have had it to a few different transmission shops and they all say there is nothing wrong with the transmission.  They point to a tuning issue or maybe throttle position sensor.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:13:18 PM by 84Silverado4x4 »
84 Silverado Reg Cab Shortbox 4x4
4" lift with 35's
5.3 vortec, 4l60e, np208, dana44, GM 12 bolt

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 84 k10 5.3 swap with 4l60e trans questions?? help??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=29996.0
about ¾ the way down on that page you will find how to test the tps. now i did the research for our tbis but it should be the same principles behind how the ohms work on it
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 06:11:56 PM »
Stock PCM? What's the TPS voltage reading? Is your VSS signal correct? Have you scanned it yet? Any DTC's?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 84Silverado4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »
PCM is stock 2006 5.3 model.  VSS signal was a bit of a trick on my truck coming from the transfer case NP208 with a dakota digital 128K sender and then a SGI-5E signal interface.  I will check TPS voltage once a get a chance.  There are no DTC's.

Thanks Guys!
4" lift with 35's

Offline Gwtt

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »
I thought that the 4L60E's wouldnt upshift  from 3/4's to WOT on the 3/4. I know when I have a 700R4 you had to have mods done to do that.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
from memory from driving my 94 with the 4l60e it wont shift into OD if the throttle wasnt resting at a certain point
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 84Silverado4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »
Mine won't upshift in any gear if i'm in 3/4 to full throttle.  I couldn't drag race the truck.  If I was at a dead stop and in drive and floored it I would carry first gear to rev limiter and it won't upshift unless I let out of the throttle completely and give is a few seconds to upshift.  Another example is if I was in drive (3rd) and floored it and got it to down shift to 2nd or 1st it won't upshift back up through the gears without letting out of the throttle completely and giving it time.  from idle to around half throttle everything works perfectly and just as it should.
4" lift with 35's

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
Have you tried to clear the Transmission Adaptive Pressure (TAP) information/ log in the PCM? This is the PCM memory of when and how to shift using line pressure for the Adaptive shifting built into most 4l60E. I'm not sure if this applies to you but you can only pull them with a scan tool. I'm not real sure the name of the website I got te following from butnits easier than typing it myself.
The 4L60-E transmission utilizes a line pressure control system during upshifts to compensate for the normal wear of transmission components. By adjusting the line pressure, the PCM can maintain acceptable transmission shift times. This process is known as "adaptive learning" or "shift adapts" and is similar to the closed loop fuel control system used for the engine.   In order for the powertrain control module (PCM) to perform a "shift adapt," it must first identify if an upshift is acceptable to analyze. For example, upshifts that occur during cycling of the A/C compressor or under extreme throttle changes could cause the PCM to incorrectly adjust line pressure. When an upshift is initiated, a number of contingencies, such as throttle position, transmission temperature, and vehicle speed, are checked in order to determine if the actual shift time is valid to compare to a calibrated desired shift time. If all the contingencies are met during the entire shift, then the shift is considered valid and the adapt function may be utilized if necessary.   Once an adaptable shift is identified, the PCM compares the actual shift time to the desired shift time and calculates the difference between them. This difference is known as the shift error. The actual shift time is determined from the time that the PCM commands the shift to the start of the engine RPM drop initiated by the shift. If the actual shift time is longer than the calibrated desired shift time, a soft feel or slow engagement, then the PCM decreases current to the pressure control (PC) solenoid in order to increase line pressure for the next, same, upshift under identical conditions. If the actual shift time is shorter than the calibrated desired shift time, a firm engagement, then the PCM increases current to the PC solenoid in order to decrease line pressure for the next, same, upshift under identical conditions.   The purpose of the adapt function is to automatically compensate the shift quality for the various vehicle shift control systems. It is a continuous process that will help to maintain optimal shift quality throughout the life of the vehicle.   Clearing Transmission Adaptive Pressure (TAP)  Transmission adaptive pressure (TAP) information is displayed and may be reset using a scan tool.   The adapt function is a feature of the PCM that either adds or subtracts line pressure from a calibrated base line pressure in order to compensate for normal transmission wear. The TAP information is divided into 13 units, called cells. The cells are numbered 4 through 14. Each cell represents a given torque range. TAP cell 4 is the lowest adaptable torque range and TAP cell 14 is the highest adaptable torque range. It is normal for TAP cell values to display zero or negative numbers. This indicates that the PCM has adjusted line pressure at or below the calibrated base line pressure.   Updating TAP information is a learning function of the PCM designed to maintain acceptable shift times.  It is not recommended that TAP information be reset unless one of the following repairs has been made:   
 Transmission overhaul or replacement 

Repair or replacement of an apply or release component, clutch, band, piston, servo 

Repair or replacement of a component or assembly which directly affects line pressure 
  Resetting the TAP values using a scan tool will erase all learned values in all cells. As a result, the PCM will need to relearn TAP values. Transmission performance may be affected as new TAPs are learned. Learning can only take place when the PCM has determined that an acceptable shift has occurred. The PCM must also relearn TAP values if it is replaced.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart