Author Topic: Is a 6.0L LS engine with 300k worth $350???  (Read 9395 times)

Offline 79SierraGrande

Re: Is a 6.0L LS engine with 300k worth $350???
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »
I know I wrote in an earlier post that the engine came out of a 2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 truck, but I forgot to mention the truck was used by Fed Ex to deliver packages on rural routes across Montana. So the 300k miles on it are probably 90% highway miles. So that's likely why a single valve seat was all that was wrong with it. However, Fed Ex wanted a new engine put in anyway so my brother did what the customer wanted.

I'll post some pics when I take the heads off to see if the cylinders still have crosshatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
— Jeremy

Offline Jrgunn5150

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 09:06:46 PM »
I don't know where you're located, but most places have Pick N Pull, Pull A Part, LKQ something along those lines. Flat rate pricing, you can get a complete motor for 125 if you pull it.

325 is a good price though, but crosshatch or no, I'd be planning on at a minimum re-ringing, new bearings, oil and water pumps. Heads are largely interchangeable and there's only one bad casting I'd avoid. Rather than having those heads redone, I'd just get good used heads.
1979 C10 Stepside 400/TH350/12 Bolt. 3.08's
1975 F100 4x4 390/C6/37's 4.88's
2006 Trailblazer 5.3/4l60e/4.56's 33's
2011 Ford Edge..... I have no idea, I just drive it to work lol

Offline 79SierraGrande

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 09:22:22 AM »
I don't know where you're located, but most places have Pick N Pull, Pull A Part, LKQ something along those lines. Flat rate pricing, you can get a complete motor for 125 if you pull it.

325 is a good price though, but crosshatch or no, I'd be planning on at a minimum re-ringing, new bearings, oil and water pumps. Heads are largely interchangeable and there's only one bad casting I'd avoid. Rather than having those heads redone, I'd just get good used heads.

Thanks, JRGunn.

Out here we have a few junkyards and some a re pick-a-part but that doesn't include engines. The pick-a-part option is for anything except engines and transmissions. When the yards take in a new vehicle out here the first thing they do is remove the engine and transmission and store it in their warehouse. So you just have to call them and tell them what you want and they tell you a price. I called one place this morning and a LY6 6.0L like this one they wanted $1,500 for a complete engine less PCM etc. that had 89K miles on it. That was the cheapest they had. No cheap one that could just considered rebuildable cores. On these heads on this motor for $350, they are the good heads, the L92 heads with the big rectangular ports, casting 823. Newly rebuilt L92 heads are $600 most everywhere I look and I can get these rebuilt from my brother's machinest for a tad less, maybe $500 all said and done.

Another option I can consider with this engine for $350 is to use it to turn in here as a core and get a newly rebuilt reman LY6 6.0L for $2,700. Considering that also. There are some things I will have to buy regardless of which route I go like a PCM but I can get a custom harness built from Affordable-Fuel-Injection.com where you specify everything you want down to the finest detail and then they build the PCM for you. Easy peasy on that part. Have used them before and they're good folks.
— Jeremy

Offline Gwtt

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 12:42:48 AM »
Depending if they are cathedral Port  (2.00 intake 1.55 exhaust) 65cc or rectangle port  (2.165 intake 1.59 exhaust) 68cc You could sell the heads alone for $350. You could part out the mounting brackets for the alternator, P/s, A/C  for some money as well. The exhaust manifolds are also desirable since they don't have EGR ports for hot rods or turbo setups. So if the motor is junk in the bottom end you can still make your money back parting out and making some.