Author Topic: Need help with truck.  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Gsanchez7

Need help with truck.
« on: December 05, 2015, 08:31:48 PM »
I have a 1985 Chevy C10. The truck came stock with a 305 cu V8. 400 automatic trans. and a posi rear axle. It currently has a 12 bolt truck with 3.07 gears. A 700r4 trans. and a 350 motor that came out of a 1994 Chevy 2500. (The old motor went out) Now these changes weren't made by me or by any licensed professionals. The 350 engine has center bolt heads and had the throttle body intake but because the height on the intake was too high for the hood they put the original intake back on. Is this setup correct? I mean with the newer motor with the rear axle and everything? If I order parts should it be for a 94 Chevy? Even though it has still has 85 parts (The intake, distributer, starter)? Is the 1985 intake a direct match to the new motor? I'm not and expert at mechanical work but I am learning. I would like to know what all I have to work with and if any of the current setup should be improved or replaced. Main reason I am asking is because with so many components removed and replaced with parts from different cars I would just like to know if it was done right. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Offline lyndoncp

Re: Need help with truck.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »
If you could find the brand and the part number off the intake as well as a casting number off the heads I could see if things match up there. As far as the rear end its not a big issue if it "matches up" year wise as a rear end was interchangeable for quite a few years. A 700R4 transmission is a good 4 speed overdrive transmission that can be fitted into your truck with minor changes if it was not originally equipped. I would consider it somewhat of an upgrade, but that can be subjective depending on your use of the truck. As a daily driver that may go on the highway every once and a while it would be definitely be nice to have the 4th gear.
You did mention that you had a throttle body, I would be super interested to know if an aftermarket cam was put in and what the specs were as some aftermarket cam shafts will not get along with factory throttle body set ups.

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 02:22:21 AM »
12 bolt rear end is not correct for the truck, it would be from something older. As far as engine parts, that would depend on what you're after, and how the system was wired. Most parts for the truck will still be for its own model year, engine parts could be either one, but most likely the newer model.

Hot tip, get a notebook. Everything you buy, after its installed and confirmed correct, write down what vehicle you used when you asked for the parts.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline Gsanchez7

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. Thanks werewolfx13 and lyndoncp for the advice. The casting number off the heads is 14102193 and the intake is the the stock GM intake. Part no 14057055. Thanks once again for your guys' help.

Offline Gsanchez7

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 07:00:52 PM »
Is it also possible to change the center bold heads back to perimeter? I don't think so but I figured I would ask. They are Non Vortec.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:32:51 PM by Gsanchez7 »

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 11:40:06 PM »
GM didn't use heads that take both center and perimeter bolt style valve covers. They are either center or perimeter, not both. So if you have one style and not the other and you want the style you don't have, you will have to change cylinder heads. There is another option tho, you could get after market heads that accept both styles or I believe some companies make an adapter, tho that gives you multiple surfaces to keep sealed and I have no idea how expensive they are. My heads are aftermarket and except both, I prefer the center bolt style, I just put a brand new set on my truck today actually, switched from perimeter to center. They seal better too because they distribute the pressure more evenly (more evenly? Is that even grammatically correct?) Anyway, they spread the pressure better instead of concentrating it in a small area at 1 bolt hole and you don't have to use spreader bars or tabs. Tho, I think one of the members here used a spreader unit he got that he found works good for perimeter bolt style.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:43:03 PM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »
Yup.  I'm using these.  Also come in chrome, and without the plug wire holders if you want.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66292bkc/overview/
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 12:03:15 AM »
Yup.  I'm using these.  Also come in chrome, and without the plug wire holders if you want.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66292bkc/overview/
Bingo.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Gsanchez7

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »
Alright. Thank you guys for your help. Much appreciated.