Author Topic: Front axle identification  (Read 80414 times)

Offline Jason S

Re: Front axle identification
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »
The crossover steering should completely clear the springs. 

From what I see: If you were to go with the ORD kit, what you listed looks to be correct. You wouldn't need the raised steering arm and dropped pitman arm from the lift kit company. 

However, with the ORD kit you still have to source the steering knuckle (early mid to early 70's Chevy Dana 44's), then drill (or have them drilled) in the correct position and then tapped for the crossover steering arm. Jeep Wagoneers, Cherokees and J-series trucks also had the flat top D44 knuckles which should work for you.

The ORU kit includes a steering knuckle, so no drilling/tapping, etc. You'd still have to get the 2wd steering box though.

Now would also be a good time to install longer brake hoses. 
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Cody1018

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »
Ya ill order the extended brake lines as well. Thanks for the help.
1986 Chevy K10 Silverado

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 01:22:28 AM »
i dont see what the big hype is about cross over steering is. i remember my 86 c1500 and it turns just as bad as my 79k20 with 6" lift.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cody1018

• Registered Users
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »
Crossover steering is basically for offroading use mostly. The drag link runs side to side instead of front to back. It makes turning to the axle stops possible under all conditions and it drastically improves the steering geometry over factory setup. They also sell crossover with high steer for higher steering clearance. Rock crawlers or trail riders would benefit from that more.
1986 Chevy K10 Silverado

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 01:39:27 AM »
so for mudding and dd the cross over is just over kill. when your crawling and you need to be able to make sharp turns thats when it pays off. but heck if you got 700 extra go for it lol
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »
so for mudding and dd the cross over is just over kill. when your crawling and you need to be able to make sharp turns thats when it pays off. but heck if you got 700 extra go for it lol

x2
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom