Author Topic: Preventing Rust  (Read 2811 times)

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
Preventing Rust
« on: April 27, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »
So the truck I just got is 99% rust free. I will fix that 1% and want to make sure I don't get any rust coming back especially in the problem areas. With the help of the POR-15 products, I want to be proactive to treat common rust areas before it comes. I was poking around the truck on the weekend and have some questions/observations:

Rockers and cab corners:
Would it be beneficial to cut openings into the inner rocker panel so I can coat the inside of the rocker with POR-15? The sealing off of that area obviously doesn't work anyway as we know it's a common rot spot. My brother had the idea of drilling a couple holes in the sill and filling the whole thing with polyester resin.
Cab corners seem to be open at the back so cleaning them an coating with POR-15 should be easy enough.

Rear fenders:
I thought these were single-skin but as I was feeling around it appears they are inner-skinned and I would imagine where the seams are is where the moisture collects and rust. Would it be a good idea to seal these seams up? How can I get something in between the skins to prevent future rust?

Windshield and rear window edges:
I fear getting rot here as that would be nothing but labor to fix it and would be big money. Any way to access the bottom of the windshield on the inside to get some POR in there? The rear window shouldn't be too bad I would think.

This truck is my weekend toy so driving in the rain will be as minimal as possible and we get little snow here in the winter so the roads aren't salted too much either. Even as such, I want to do something about it now while the metal is still good rather than just wait. Thanks.

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Preventing Rust
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 10:51:00 AM »
As for filling the cavity, I don't think that is a good idea, you really can never fill it completely and you will be adding weight.  Plus water drains from the cowl area to the rocker throught the seams, so you can exactly stop that and if it is filled, where ever the water can get to it will stay.  My thought are make sure the drains are clean,and you might want to add a few more possibly.  Same goes for the rockers.  Once you drill or cut a hole I would touch it up with something like POR15.

As for the rear, again, just make sure you keep the area clean of dirt and water and it "should" be ok.  The only true way to rust proof is to cut hole for access and then, you have a hole....  Windshield, without removing it, there isn't really a good access there.  Typically the drain holes get clogged, they are accessible from the cowl area, again, I would check them if you possibley park where water, leaves or dirt may accumulate.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
Re: Preventing Rust
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 11:19:00 AM »
Thanks Chris. Because this is my weekend, dry-day driver which will hopefully not see rain or very little, the chances of it rusting should be small eh? Perhaps then I will coat what I can reach with POR15 and not worry about cutting new holes and such.  And it wouldn't be a good idea to seal up seams at the bottom of panels because that's where water can drain out? I'll be sure to keep the areas where I know dirt, mud and water accumulates clean as well as the drain holes.

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.