Author Topic: 6.0 LS Swap - Oil Pump  (Read 2819 times)

Offline buggjrC10

6.0 LS Swap - Oil Pump
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »
**First Post - Be gentle**

My Vehicle: 
-1984 Chevrolet C-10, SWB
-5/7 Drop
-5.7L 350ci
-Big Cam (Unknown Specs)
-TH350
-3:73 Gears
-Belltech Shocks/Springs (Front)
-Aldan American Coilovers (Rear)

Donor Vehicle:
-2001 Chevy Silverado 2500
-6.0l v8 LQ4
-130,000 miles

Question: Recently found a 6.0l needing a new oil pump.  Owner wants to go BB vice LS (strange reason, but ok), and does not want to put in the leg work to repair engine.  Comes complete with accessories, harness, and gas pedal.  Is it worth purchasing?  For sale for $650.  I haven't asked about the fuel pump from the gas tank yet.  Every other 6.0 I have come across is for sale for nothing less than $2500.  I have the basic tools at home and consider myself amateur at best (more common sense and resourcefulness than anything else), and figure I can repair this thing at home in my garage. 

I also read/watched Capn's LS Swap build...all 25 pages...and have picked up a lot of tips and knowledge from his thread along with a few others.  All tips, advice, and constructive criticism is welcome.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:33:13 PM by buggjrC10 »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 6.0 LS Swap - Oil Pump
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 06:59:10 PM »
How did you determine it needs an oil pump? The 6.0L is a good engine but I wouldn't question or find it strange for someone wanting to go with a big block of the correct vintage. The 6.0L is not bullet proof and has plenty of quirks of it's own. $650 for the engine complete with harness and PCM? Buy it
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »
If it's still on the donor vehicle then you should be able to hear it run

How do they know it Needs and oil pump ?

Cause the old one grenaded and ruined the engine

No way a BB 454 swap in place of a LS is gonna be cheaper tHan just replacing an oil pump

Sounds kinda like the
"It was running when it was parked "
And
"The AC just needs a recharge "

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 06:14:03 AM »
I wouldn't buy it, seems to cheap. Cheaper isn't always better. Just my opinion.

Offline buggjrC10

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 08:01:41 AM »
VileZambonie/Roundhouse:
-The original owner of the truck noted low oil pressure, no mention of other issues or mentions of smoke.  He bought oil pump and did not install due to selling to the 2nd owner of the truck (guy I bought engine from).  The 2nd owner made it well known he was not a fan of LS engines (mainly due to the wiring) and only wanted the body of the 2500 to install the crate BB 454 he owned.

-The motor had been pulled but I was able to inspect it (as best I could), and it turns over via flywheel, there were no milky substances or residue in the oil, and overall it seemed to be in good shape.  True I won't know if there are any major issues until I break it down to rebuild. 

-A friend of mine recommended doing a compression test also.  I've got a few books and manuals to read through to help guide me in the process.  I will be sure to post any findings, issues, or any questions I may have.  Thanks for your input.   

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 04:46:37 PM »
If your plan is to rebuild it then just buy it before someone else does.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10