Author Topic: LS swap  (Read 8567 times)

Offline 1980Rehab

LS swap
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »
So new to the forum looking for some pointers regarding LS Swap on my 1980 c10. Truck currently has a 350/350 set up with original quadrajet 4bbl carb and all the smog parts (yes i live in California with its incompetent laws) so I am smogging it now and will be swaping carbs/intake/exhust soon to the eldlebrock and dynamax set up i have sitting in my shop. I am looking to do a ls swap by the time I need to smog again. What do i need to plan for in the swap? Mostly curious about computer and gauges, etc...??? Whos got some first hand experience with this..???

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: LS swap
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »
take a gander here. others will chime in but i havnt done a LS swap yet so im not going to tell you how or what to do
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?board=46.0
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »
So are you saying you need emissions stuff to work on the LS? I've done the swap, and it's not as hard as people think. Not too sure about emissions as I deleted the rear O2 sensors. I can try to help with any questions

Offline srozell

• Registered Users
    • My 1980 Chevy
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 12:09:47 AM »
I've done the swap

Abbotsford, eh? I'm in Chilliwack, and I think I'm going to put an LS into my '69. I know where to go for help now!
1980 K20 "Camper Special"
1969 K20 Step Side
http://myuglytruck.wordpress.com/

Offline 1980Rehab

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »
I dont need the emmissions on the ls, the ls  will qualify and pass for emmisions for that year truck, im more interested in how people run the newer fuel injected system and computer. What i need to keep from the ls vehicle or if anyone knows of a good kit.

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »
I guess it depends what your budget is. At the absolute least you'll need the engine computer along with the engine. I'd recommend either pulling the engine yourself or getting it from a wrecker that didn't cut the harness. You'll save money by using the stock wiring. Originally I ran 2 fuse blocks (the fuse block from the LS truck for the engine and my C10 fuse block for the rest of the truck). I eventually stripped down the wiring and managed to tie it all into my C10's fuse block. You can get a nice, pretty, clean harness from Painless, but it's pricey. You also need to get the computer reprogrammed to take out the anti-theft (and I'd suggest also deleting the rear O2 sensors).  If the engine is 2003 or newer you'll need the throttle pedal and module because they don't use a physical cable (if you get a throttle pedal from a mid '90s diesel truck it will bolt right in, unlike the pedal from the newer truck). You can use your old transmission with a few mods but I'm not sure how that all works with the kickdown cable and all that. I'd recommend doing the 4l60e like I did; you get the overdrive and it just interfaces better with the engine.

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »
This site was a huge help when I did mine. This guy also can reprogram your engine computer and even clean up your harness if you want. http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 10:47:27 PM »
Unless you're emotionally attached to the truck I'd sell it and get one that's old enough to be exempt from the Cali smog rules

You will need to search some local Cali websites to see how to do the swap and get it legal

When you do a swap in Cali , does the new engine has to meet the smog rules for the year of the vehicle the engine came out of ?

Anyhow , the best and usually least expensive way is to buy a complete donor vehicle , take what you need and sell as many parts as you can and usually you can recover what you paid for the donor vehicle and your engine is free

You need to remove it yourself or get one from a place that removes engines specifically for transplants

Otherwise they will hack up the words and break and smash a lot of small parts and accessories and try to sell you an engine that they have stripped the alternator and started and anything else from it that they can get a buck for

Carefully remove the harness up to and including the fuse box and computer

We used
"Team 208 Motorsports " in Idaho to program the computer
For a reasonable price They will also rework your harness and return it with their own fusebox and just three or four wires that you hook into your vehicle

We used late model Camaro exhaust manifolds and downpipes
We had to alter the downpipes a little , we don't need emissions , so we smashed the innerds out of the cats on the downpipes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 1980Rehab

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »
Thanks everyone....some great info. I have an LT1 out of a 95 Camero that I know pretty much bolts up, but figured with going through that trouble I might as well just do the LS instead. My understanding is that the CA smog is fine as long as you go newer in motor which has better emissions. The 1980 C10 I have will be what I build for particular reasons, if I was to go pre-smog Id just build a 70-72 sbc carb motor. I dig the square body and am looking to do a sleeper style street truck. I have been finding some great sites and threads that seem to touch on this subject....thanks for the help and I will post updates. The LT1 I have now also has the 5spd behind it.....do I stay auto or go 5spd??????

Offline 1980Rehab

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
The project as it is....

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 02:16:41 PM »
Thanks everyone....some great info. I have an LT1 out of a 95 Camero that I know pretty much bolts up, but figured with going through that trouble I might as well just do the LS instead. My understanding is that the CA smog is fine as long as you go newer in motor which has better emissions. The 1980 C10 I have will be what I build for particular reasons, if I was to go pre-smog Id just build a 70-72 sbc carb motor. I dig the square body and am looking to do a sleeper style street truck. I have been finding some great sites and threads that seem to touch on this subject....thanks for the help and I will post updates. The LT1 I have now also has the 5spd behind it.....do I stay auto or go 5spd??????
Well with the 5 speed you don't have to worry about getting a new trans or dealing with a kick down cable or anything

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
Don't take any advice from us for the Cali smog stuff

You need to be talking to someone at the referee station about quester your transplant needs to meet 1980 smog rules , or the year of the donor vehicle , suppose your LS engine comes from a 2004 Yukon ,
Cali may demand that your 1980 pickup now meet the 2004 emission standards

I'm. It from Cali but I think that's the case
And that the engine has to be from the same type of vehicle
For instance.  If you have a pickup , then your transplant engine has to be from a pickup and it from a passenger car like a Camaro

You need to get on the Internet and do some searching for the answer to that
Pirate4x4 is based in Cali so there should be plenty of info about  Cali smog legal LS transplants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cornerstoneengin

• New Users
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
Easiest way to get an LS going is to go with FiTech fuel injection. Its self learning. 6 wire hookup with a handheld controller. Their basic setup with manual trans is $800. They even have setups with complete sheet metal intake manifolds. You can just bolt it on. Hook up your fuel supply and crank it up

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk