Author Topic: Headlights Won't Turn on  (Read 27163 times)

Offline 1984k10

Headlights Won't Turn on
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
My headlights used to only come on with the highbeam on. I've replaced the dimmer switch but they still won't turn on. The highbeam indicator no longer comes on either. I'm getting zero power to the headlights per volt meter.  I've looked at the wiring diagrams and can't seem to figure out where the bad connection is.

On a 1984 K10 do they have a relay? I don't think it's an issue with a fuse since I can't seem to find one for headlights.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Headlights Won't Turn on
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
Fuse links protect battery feeds into the cab.  The headlamp switch houses a non-serviceable circuit breaker for the headlights.  The running lights are fused separately through the fuse block.  Check for burned fuse links coming off the battery cable stud at the starter as well as at the junction block double stud mounted to the firewall right of the brake master cylinder.  If fuse links are OK check the red feed wire to the headlamp switch (should be battery).  Use the wiring diagrams to work your way down circuit to the dimmer switch and headlamps.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 1984k10

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
The headlights connect to the starter you say? Where did I put that flashlight....

Offline bigchevyc30

• Frequent Member
  • the pig
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
you might have the same issue i hadd i had the wire that connects to the altnator and starter get burned in half from hitting my headers maybe yours is the same thing
1980 c-30 dually R.I.P
1989 R2500 Sub 350/sm465
1984 k10 sub 6.2/700r4

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:00:12 AM »
what about the headlight switch?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:30:42 AM »
The headlights connect to the starter you say? Where did I put that flashlight....

The fuse able link he mentioned is off the starter through the double studded connector block on the firewall, this is where you get power for the circuit.  A lot of times the fuse able link goes bad and is not serviceable, there is a write up in the tech section on how to make a new fuse able link.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom