Author Topic: Odd occurance with starting  (Read 7250 times)

Offline 1979ChevyMorgan

Re: Odd occurance with starting
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 09:59:21 PM »
Yes, I disconnected the cable from the battery and have the meter hooked up to the negative terminal and then to the negative cable with the positive still hooked up to the battery. To my knowledge there is nothing on. I really at a stand still at the moment, i have weird hours so it will be hard for me to do that test and i can only work on her a few hours a day. Im also ran out of ideas. Next time I have some daylight Ill try and post a video or something maybe that will be better descriptive. Because im sure it has to be something easy, its a 76 afterall. No computer or anything. Before it sprayed fluid ran just fine after it sat for awhile this problem happened so im faily positive that should have something to do with it unless by mere chance they happened at the same time. (when I say spray I mean spray, like all the way up to the windshield)

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 12:15:42 AM »
Inserting a voltmeter in series with a circuit is a "bad test" that will only serve to mislead you.  Don't do it!

[Here's why:  A decent digital voltmeter with an input impedance (sensitivity) of 10 megohms will indicate 12.8 volts with only 1.3 ľa of current flowing through the meter.  In other words, an insignificantly negligible, parasitic current flow will cause the meter to register full system voltage.  What you are actually doing is measuring the voltage drop across the meter itself.  It is a meaningless, useless measurement that has no bearing on what you are trying to accomplish with a meter].

Perform the tests that I previously outlined, with no deviation, and you will make headway.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 1979ChevyMorgan

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 12:24:21 AM »
Inserting a voltmeter in series with a circuit is a "bad test" that will only serve to mislead you.  Don't do it!

[Here's why:  A decent digital voltmeter with an input impedance (sensitivity) of 10 megohms will indicate 12.8 volts with only 1.3 ľa of current flowing through the meter.  In other words, an insignificantly negligible, parasitic current flow will cause the meter to register full system voltage.  What you are actually doing is measuring the voltage drop across the meter itself.  It is a meaningless, useless measurement that has no bearing on what you are trying to accomplish with a meter].

Perform the tests that I previously outlined, with no deviation, and you will make headway.

Roger that, as soon as I can get someone to help me out ill see to it. And post results

Offline 1979ChevyMorgan

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 10:46:53 PM »
Ok so i know its been awhile. But BD i still havent been able to get anyone to help with the truck and my multi meter is broken. So itll be alittle bit before I can work her. I did how ever put a push button start in there. One wire down to the soleniod on the switch terminal and one to the battery. I did put a fuseable link in there too. And that still doesnt work. Also reads 17.4 volts now with or without the push button start. My brother said something about maybe a bad battery cell or something? But that still wouldnt explain why it wont be jump started either or would it?

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »
When a battery has a bad cell if will typically read about 10.5 volts, a bad cell produces no voltage or little voltage. A good, fully charged battery should have around 12.6 to 12.8 volts at the terminals. Now, you replaced the starter, so if the battery is good (have it checked at the parts store) then I would check for power at the fuse block (ign) and also check the voltage drop there. However, you wires in a push button directly to the solenoid which rules out ignition. So, test the battery, if it's good, clean the terminals real good with baking soda and water, clean the cables as well, make sure they are tight, check your grounds, then make sure you hooked up the new starter correctly (and makes sure it's connections there are clean) then see what it does. Wiring in a remote start switch (the button) eliminates everything but battery, cables, and starter. So it's one of those 3, honestly it sounds like a bad battery, but may be cables. Btw, I have seen several bad batteries that wouldn't jump either, I've used jump boxes directly to cables disconnected from battery to jump cars before...it's not the best way, but in some cases it's the only way, after all a jump box is a battery.
1979 Chevrolet Silverado C20 rclb cammed 355/th400/4.10 - sold
1977 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe c10 rcsb stepside 355/th350/3.42
Vortec heads lunati cam edelbrock intake headers