73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Body, Glass & Paint

LVP Paint to change color of interior door panel

(1/2) > >>

juancano:
Hi; bought the LVP Color Bond from   to change these maroon door panels into Saddle Tan. So far so good, it looks really good.

I tested some areas that will be hidden by some of the inserts, and the paint scratches off easily. I cleaned the panels 3 times with alcohol and thinner, and then blew the dust off before applying.

Can I put a coat of some clear coat to protect it even more?

Has anyone used these paints on door panel, elbow rest and straps?

Thanks

VileZambonie:
Did you use adhesion promoter first?

wz7u:
Ah, that explains why the attempt someone made before I rescued Pearl, to repaint the panels is less than stellar. Kind of like all the "work" they did to it to "get it running again".

Did I say Pearl is a rescue? She is the poster child for why drugs are bad kids. Don't end up like Pearl. Stay away from drugs.  :o

Knowing this will help me to get it back in shape properly. I wasn't aware of an adhesion 'promoter' before this. Thanks!

juancano:
I did not use adhesion promoter because when you read the instructions, it reads like that is for special materials apart from the door and regular vinyl.

But the good news is that after letting it sit for a few hours, it does not seem to be peeling anymore!! The can says it dries in 10 minutes, but maybe not accurate. So I think I'm going to be OK.

But I need to get more of this paint; should've bought two cans.   is super slow to ship. I see a company called SEM sells the same "Saddle" color; wonder if I can spray SEM paint on top of the LVP. Probably the same stuff right?

VileZambonie:
You should prep the panels, clean them with a prep solvent and use an adhesion promoter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version