Author Topic: Ground wire burned up on start.  (Read 5566 times)

Offline darmentle

• Registered Users
Ground wire burned up on start.
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »
on my way home in 73 i stopped to get gas shut the truck went to start again and it was having hard time turning over so i opened the hood noticed i had burnt the insulation off the small ground wire going from the battery to the front of the truck. so i got new wire and ends for it sand paper clean up the contact point. Also removed the big ground going to the alt bracket and cleaned its contact as well started up after that. Is there anything i should look for that would cause that or is that just something that happens every once in awhile?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Ground wire burned up on start.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »
on my way home in 73 i stopped to get gas shut the truck went to start again and it was having hard time turning over so i opened the hood noticed i had burnt the insulation off the small ground wire going from the battery to the front of the truck. so i got new wire and ends for it sand paper clean up the contact point. Also removed the big ground going to the alt bracket and cleaned its contact as well started up after that. Is there anything i should look for that would cause that or is that just something that happens every once in awhile?

That was 40 years ago, and you're just asking the question now?   :o

J/K -  ;D

The square bodies use multiple primary grounds, all of which are important and need to function correctly:  battery-to-engine (2-gauge or the same gauge as battery-to-starter), battery-to-passenger side frame (10-gauge), battery-to-radiator support (10- or 12-gauge), engine-to-driver side frame (10-gauge), engine-to-firewall (usually a 5/16" braided, uninsulated flat cable, although a 10-gauge insulated cable will substitute nicely), rear lamp harness-to-frame (16-gauge). 

Under the circumstances you've described, all of the major grounds mentioned should be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled with some anti-oxidant.  If any grounds are missing, add them!  If there are any star washers used in the ground connections, discard them!
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »

That was 40 years ago, and you're just asking the question now?   :o

That's what I was thinkin
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline darmentle

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »
yea no living 1973 for me thanks   :P any way i noticed that the braided ground strap is missing so i fix that today thanks again

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 09:53:13 AM »
Check for voltage drop across the negative battery cable. Sounds like high resistance to me
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10