Author Topic: Fuel System Picking up Air  (Read 907 times)

Offline Ben w

Fuel System Picking up Air
« on: August 31, 2021, 09:48:15 PM »
Initially I did not know what was wrong with my fuel system, only that my truck was spitting and sputtering more and more frequently. I started out by rebuilding my Quadrajet Carburetor and replacing the fuel pump that already appeared to be new from the previous owner. I also replaced the fuel tank selector valve. At one point in the early summer when things first started to get particularly hot, I thought that maybe I was experiencing vapor lock. Based on that, I bypass the steel fuel line that runs inside of the frame and ran a rubber fuel line from the back of the truck to the engine compartment. When that did no good, I went back to the steel fuel line and also replace my carburetor with a new Edelbrock AVS2. While tuning the new carburetor I noticed that air was bubbling up into the fuel filter. I replaced the fuel selector switch a second time and changed to an electric fuel pump up in the engine bay. Today I moved the electric fuel pump to the back of the truck, just in front of the tank selector valve but air is still getting introduced into the line. Do I just need to replace the sending units? I have replaced every piece of rubber hose between the tanks and the carburetor as well. The sending units seem to be kind of a pain to get a hold of and frankly I really want my truck running this weekend. Is there something else that I'm missing? I would think that if the issue was a hole somewhere in the system, it would be leaking fuel now that the pump is at the back of the system. That's simply does not seem to be the case. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel System Picking up Air
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »
Have you tried removing the gas cap? Is the tank properly vented?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10