Author Topic: Correct Carb for ‘82 C20 w/C6P option. 5.7 LT9 motor  (Read 667 times)

Offline Ziabeam

Correct Carb for ‘82 C20 w/C6P option. 5.7 LT9 motor
« on: August 12, 2023, 05:03:32 AM »
This was my dad’s truck, leased since new by Mountain Bell, whom turned it over to a dealership that sold it to dad in 1998, at 92K miles. By 2018, it only had 102K original miles, and required a rebuilt carb to make it out of the driveway. I have no idea if the carburetor they matched was original to the truck (actually doubt it based on a few ‘tells’). For the next few thousand miles all was well, then it became a mess all over again, sluggish, vapor locking, bucking, etc. I’m fully prepared to explore every fuel related system, sensor, heat valve, linkage, etc, but need 100% certainty that the carburetor I’m working with is correct to the factory LT9 motor, and all related emissions gadgets. Then I can move forward knowing I’m diagnosing a fuel system that has the correctly configured carburetor relevant to the checklist. As it sits now, there appear to be discrepancies related to linkages, and fittings, that lead me to suspect at some point an incorrect QJet variant was swapped into the truck.

Offline Ziabeam

Re: Correct Carb for ‘82 C20 w/C6P option. 5.7 LT9 motor
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 05:19:09 AM »
P.S.
The ‘80-‘86 C6P (8,600 GVWR) trucks had no cats, or EGR, since they fell into the ‘Nationwide’ category, with no California variation. I see varying data on whether they had vapor canisters. Mine has no indication (holes in fender) that it ever had one.

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 11:14:48 AM »
There should be either a 7-digit GM number, almost always starting with the number "7", or if it's and 8-digit, it will start with "17" cast on the carb body. Having that number will help in research.
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 11:16:02 AM »
Welcome from AZ BTW!  8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Ziabeam

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 01:08:52 PM »
Welcome from AZ BTW!  8)
The rebuild/exchange was sourced using that number from the carb removed when it was 36 years old, and that Quadrajet’s features (fittings, and linkages) don’t quite jibe with what the emissions diagram suggests. I’m barking up the wrong tree at every diagnostic turn if I’m troubleshooting with the wrong carb. I’m trying to keep the fueling system and emissions 100% correct, since the truck is otherwise ALL original, in the hopes that doing so will sidestep any potential hurdles to abide by if federal guidelines become compulsory.

I did find this VERY helpful resource (link below), unfortunately it does not mention any detailed specifics on the carb, aside from it being a four barrel.

https://www.gm.com/content/dam/company/no_search/heritage-archive-docs/vehicle-information-kits/chevrolet-trucks/1982-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf