Author Topic: Manual Transmission Problem  (Read 2002 times)

Offline geckomnb

• New Users
Manual Transmission Problem
« on: March 20, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
I have a 1977 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a manual transmission and I am having problems with the transmission.  I can not shift it into any gear.  This is a project truck that I have been working on for a year or two and before it became a project truck the transmission worked before I have the body / cab changed out by a shop.  Now I believe that they took the shifter out of the transmission while it was in gear and I need a diagram of where the shifter goes to compare if it is selected in neutral now.  I am also looking for any online manuals for electrical diagrams as well if anyone can help.  -- Thanks Michael B.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Manual Transmission Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »
What trans is in there? Pull the shifter out and line all of the shift rails up so you can see the gate assuming this is a top loader. Pop it back in and try it.

Autozone has free repair guides that has diagrams on their website or look on eBay for a factory electrical wiring manual.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline dustystrucktoo

Re: Manual Transmission Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:03:08 AM »
1977?
The only wiring you should have is for your reverse lights on the side of the tranny.  If everything lines up, you will be needing to see if your fork is moving when applying the clutch.  If it is, you might want to take the tranny down and make sure everything is assembled correctly.  I tend to appreciate the old chilton books.  Find a chilton for light truck and and van for your particular year.    If not a chilton, then get an overhaul manual.