Author Topic: 3.43 gears too small?  (Read 4155 times)

Offline shortchevy84

3.43 gears too small?
« on: January 08, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »
i have 3.43 rear end in my 350/700r4 combo. both are rebuilt. i can't spin my tires off the line. i'm getting 268H comp cam, edelbrock performer rpm heads, comp magnum roller rockers, and headers in the spring. hopefully this combo gets me into the 300-350hp range. anyone have a combo close to that? anyway, i think i need new gears for the new hp, but i'd like to keep some decent gas mileage for my daily driver. so i was thinking of a 3.73. would this be enough to throw me back in my seat and leave rubber on the ground? even if i don't get the new parts for the engine??? thanks for the input.

Offline Sano

engine
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 01:23:00 AM »
I'd suggest just adding the stuff to the engine....my buddy has a 79' camaro that only has about 270hp and 350 torque with 3.08 posi and if slams the pedal to the floor than he just sits there and when it hooks up your back in your seat. Granted its not very fast (14.7 quarter) but it descent. I'd keep the 3.42's (a stock chevy ratio) or 3.43's or whatever you have and just do the engine. The engine stuff should be enough. Just to give you a better idea my 1985 SWB had a 305 with stock heads ported/polished, 260h cam, performer rpm intake and a 500 cfm performer carb. If I slammed her to the floor at a light she sat there for about 10 seconds or so and she only had 3.08 non posi rear. The extra motor stuff would do wonders

Offline shortchevy84

Re: engine
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 01:10:00 AM »
ok, i'll try and stick with the gears i have, but i'm pretty sure they are gonna have to be rebuilt or something. the bottom of the diff has always been covered in oil or whatever since i bought it, and i have no idea on how to maintain a diff. i know on some models there is a filler plug that you add the fluid too untill it starts to come out, and others are not that simple. i have no idea what i have, and haven't bothered to check into it since i was expecting i'd have to change my gear ratio anyway. but if its possible i would like to keep the 3.43 for that little bit of extra gas mileage. anyone else have some input??

Offline Sano

gears
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »
You never mentioned anything like that, I'd personally just buy some new gear oil, a new differential cover and gasket and take a look at er. I'd suggest having at least good few days so that if you need to buy a new ring and pinion, axles or whatever else you need. You don't want to break your rear end in any way with the new horsepower.

Offline pdq67

Re: gears
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 09:35:00 PM »
I think rearend gear lube is supposed to be changed periodically just like both type tranny fluids as well as brake fluid and coolant just to protect everything like it should be.

I do know the rearend gear lube in the old P/U I bought a while back was what I would call, NASTY"!!  I flushed it out as good as I could with spray Brake Clean and wiped as much as i could out of it and filled it back up with new 85w140 gear lube.

I'm going to drive it a while and change it out again after I get the rearend warm from driving it.  Flush her out and fill her up again sorta deal....

I see it as being one heck of a lot cheaper maintaining it then rebuilding it since I don't know how to set one up right AND would have to pay to have it done right??

pdq67