Author Topic: Front brakes locked  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Texarado

Front brakes locked
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »
My dad has an 86 C10, 350/350 turbo w/ power brakes that have the front brakes locked. He had changed one caliper and bled the brakes on all four when both front brakes locked. By the time he asked me about it , he had already tried to remove the prop valve.

He's seventy five years old and has given up on trying to remove it alltogether because its such a pain to work on. I told him to button it back up, re-bleed all and see if the brake idiot light is on. If it is, the prop valve needs to re-center itself. I told him to do this by applying heavy pedal pressure then release. If the light goes out, the front brakes will release. If not the valve a need a little persuasion (ie: hammer time).

Am I on the right track here?

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Front brakes locked
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 01:45:00 PM »
Sounds like a good start.

It is possible that the brake lines are collapsing also.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
Well thats what he gets for tryin to do all them power slides into Wendys just to show off for those young 65 yr old counter babes... Make him bleed those brakes til he gets it right!:rollin :rollin
Gad! I can't believe you are makin him work by himself on that chev. Tell him since Fathers Day is coming up you're gonna go over an help him out. Just this one time tho- (you ought to be ashamed of yourself). Ha Ha.:lol  No- I'm really just having fun with ya, Tex. God bless yer dad. he sounds like a great guy!

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Texarado

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »
Thanks Guys!

I intend to help him in person if I can get away. He lives about three hours away so its not totally out of the question.

I appreciate the help and the humor.

David:D  

Offline 1980cdeluxe

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
I had a similar problem, but only with one side. The line collapsed as roundedline said... I bought a new caliper bled the brakes multiple times thinking that was the problem, but it didn't help. Replaced the line, and voila!

Offline Texarado

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »
Yeah I did as well. Thats the first thing I thought of when he said he had a caliper locked. On further investigation I found out that he had not had that problem until he bled the brakes.

When he discovered both calipers were locked, he loosened the front supply tube from the combination valve (in preparatioin to remove the valve) and the calipers backed off.

Thanks for your input!  :D