Author Topic: what will i have to do to put 44's on a 73 3/4 ton  (Read 8040 times)

Offline weakmaxx

what will i have to do to put 44's on a 73 3/4 ton
« on: April 30, 2002, 03:42:00 AM »
I know already that i will only be adding a 8" susp system and a bit (lot) of fender cuting.  I may only be able to mount 40s, but that is ok too.

what will i need so the truck will drive and stay in one peice?

I know some of the parts i will get are:
dana 60 front (dana 44 is stock) (14 bolt is already stock rear)
8" superlift lift system (the one for 741$ with shocks)
the truck (duh!!!)
cross over steering
gear ratio (4.88 or above depending on what tires i mount)

here is what i don't know about
brakes
drivetrain (the drive shafts will most likely be to short with any lift of 6"+)
and anything else i am missing

please fill me in, so i can but this stuff in order, to start building  (take your time, i am trying to get the truck first)

here is the reason for 1973 3/4 ton if anyone want to bug me about that:
1973 is the latest year that is smog exempt (cali)
comes with a good rear axle
1 tons are hard to find with a good engine, trans., 4x4, not a dully
i have more reasons, but i can't remember them off the top of my head

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: what will i have to do to put 44's on a 73 3/4 ton
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 08:27:00 AM »
You will definately need new brake lines with a 6" lift.  The brakes on a 14bFF and D60 should be sufficent.  For the rear suspension i would probably go with a 4" lift and a shackle flip to get the 8" of lift.  Absoultly, positively need a bolt in frame brace for the steering box and probably a weld in brace too.  Thats all that comes to mind right now.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205

Offline weakmaxx

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2002, 05:43:00 PM »
actuallt i found some schackles i wanna give a shot, forgot what they are called, but they are the ones that give you more articulation.  I still think that i will need to get 8" all around, but don't know for sure yet.  have you done this on your k20?  did you have to get longer driveshafts, i heard you have to, but i have no idea where to get them, or what to use or anything.

Offline bluebike2000

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 10:07:00 PM »
I just built a 1 ton crew cab , non-dually . 44" boggers 12" lift plus 3" suspension, I have cut-out fender flares also. The first lift I bought was the one you are about to buy. If you can settle for 40's or 39.5's , go for it. I did not realize the actual size of 44" boggers, they are huge tires. So I removed the 8" lift , and purchased the 12". still not big enough, my tires rubbed on every turn with any sort of bump, like the driveway, I had to add a 3" body lift, which I did not want to
do , now it doesnt rub at all. I would suggest going with a 40" or smaller tire and no body lift, the brakes on my 1 ton are huge and in a panic , it gets a little hairy trying to stop that thing, I would try to find the axle with 1ton brakes ,and dont skimp on the wheels , I went with weld super singles, They were the heaviest rating in an aluminum I could find, a few more bucks, whats the difference at this point anyway, right?
My exhaust crossover pipe was in the way of the front drive shaft. the rear I have a 2piece, I just built a lowering block for the center bearing. As far as gears go, I am going to install an underdrive, that way I still have real tall freeway gears when I finish, then I will be lengthening the front and shortening the rear driveline. other than that I hope you can jump up in there, I know I have trouble. good luck to you

Offline weakmaxx

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 10:25:00 PM »
muahaha.  12" he he he.  i guess that is what i am goin for.

there is still NO way i am doing any body lift.  I hear to many people have trouble with the spacer (or what ever it is that lifts it) poping over bumps, that is not a good thing.  did you ever encounter that, i have not actually met someone with this problem, but i have heard of it several times.

Well... MAYBE i will CONSIDER it if i get some positive feedback.

How did you actually perform the lift?   How did you rais the truck enough, i know that on the 3" lifts you can just use some strong struts, but i am guessing you will need to put the entire truck on a lift.

Is there any other way of geting the extra 3"s?

think steel rims would be a bad idea?

i need to write a list of the items i will need, you think you could give me a hand (this goes for everyone)

here is what i know i will need

truck
dana 60 front
new wires and brake lines
12" superlift
wheels and tires
i will need to find a place where i can purchase driveshafts
reinforcing the steering (don't know how)
cross over steering

what am i missing now?  I need to make a price list.  This will most likely take a year or so, but i think i should get all my info filled out first.

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2002, 08:19:00 AM »
Sorry i didnt add in the link for the steering brace setup. Here it is Steering Brace.  Heres another link for the rear shackle flip Shackle Flip.  I dont have this flip in my truck but have talked to lots of guys that do and they really seem to like it.  

Is this your first offroad truck?  It seems like you have really big plans without even having a vehicle yet.  Dont go too overboard at first.  I would suggest only doing one modification at a time, then going out and testing it.  That way you know better what you need.  It just seems as though you are going to a real extreme right of the bat.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205

Offline weakmaxx

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2002, 05:50:00 PM »
no, it is my first MAJOR lift.  I have had experience with trucks tho (prolly does not seem like it)

Offline weakmaxx

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2002, 06:03:00 PM »
here is a link to a review on the shackles i wanna try.  this guy did 2-3 pages on installing them, they look pretty nice, question is, will they hold up on a truck like this?

www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/revolver/

Offline bluebike2000

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2002, 08:49:00 PM »

Edited by: bluebike2000 at: 5/2/02 2:00:16 am

Offline bluebike2000

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2002, 08:55:00 PM »
Hello again, the Revolver shackles are not going to lift it at all, in fact they may lower it a bit. I also own a 1947 willys jeep, I personally have not installed them on my jeep, but my friend and my dad both have them on their Jeep's, they really increase the articulation in the rocks, if you also install swaybar disconnects, but as far as lift , I think they take 1" to 2"s off.
  Im speaking from experience when I say, the worst part of lifting the truck was the body lift. you have to raise the radiator shroud, fuel tanks , bumpers. Infact , my buddy happens to be a welder by trade, so we have built a full custom front bumper , and getting ready to start a custom rear also. honestly, the lift,  looks alot better than I thought, the reason is the lifting of the fuel tanks, I see so many guys with the same lift, and their fuel tanks are exposed 3"s, looks terrible. Also with our generation of Chevy body style, the frame is a lot less exposed than on the newer style. I have not experienced any sort of problems with the lift , it seems to be very solid. So far I am generally happy with the body lift.
  Matt Dingman sent an e-mail and is going to post the picture I sent of my truck, It kinda sucks because my Mustang is in front of it for contrast, but I will send him some better pictures as soon as I can.
  Does anyone know where I can purchase a full phantom grill for my truck, the one that covers the headlights and all? Im finding them for everything new, and for freakin' mini vans, but Im having trouble finding one for my truck.
  One thing I do believe, if your going to run 44"s , I think you are going to do 12" suspension and 3" body, at the very least, I had no choice. Your other option would be to call National spring, and have them build you 15" leaf spring, they will build them however , and whatever size you want, for a price of course, but they are very high quality springs. they work very good on the trail.
  JUST GO BIG!!!!

Offline weakmaxx

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2002, 11:23:00 PM »
the reason i like those shackles is the artic, i thought they would make NO difference on hight, thanx for that bit of info.  Makes a easy dissision on that.

I saw a few guys with TONS of fender cutting and 12" only getting there 44"s on.  that was with the same body style.  I think i will try doing just the susp lift and LOADS of fender cutting.  I will see what i can fit under, if i can't put on the 44"s with that, than i will go into more lift options.

Is it illegal to run a truck with NO fenders?  he he, that may save trouble, he he.

body lifts scare me...  

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2002, 11:34:00 PM »
Body lifts scare me too.

Anyway... you have the right idea as far as getting a '73 to beat SMOG in California.  Other problem?  If you lift the suspension 12" and put on 44's, you can count on getting stopped and ticketed frequently.  My '79 has an 8" lift and 38.5 " Swamper's, and sits just under an inch within being in compliance with the California frame height law.  A guy around the corner put a 12" Superlift on his mid-80's Chevy 3/4 ton with 44" Boggers, and it sits in his back yard.  He was hit with tickets from the get go.

You must have fenders, and the body or flares must cover the portion of tread which contact the pavement.

'79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60

Edited by: 79GMC4x4 at: 5/20/02 4:35:31 am

Offline weakmaxx

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2002, 12:33:00 AM »
WOW, i never woulda thunk about hight bein a problem.  I will research that.