Author Topic: connecting beam.  (Read 2993 times)

Offline crimz0n

connecting beam.
« on: August 11, 2002, 06:59:00 PM »
i was changing out some hoses and installing a new bumber on my 73 gmc and noticed.... the connecting beam on is missing bolts on the driver's side. none the less when i turn my frame is bending...... not good.
anyways.. can i just use regular bolts and tighten the crap outta them? the one's on it the passenger side and on my other truck are rounded bolts on both ends so i get get them off or i dont think install new factory ones... this isn't good..
anyone have a problem like this or any idea's?
thanks

-crimz0n

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
rounded bolts...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 11:22:00 PM »
Rounded bolts there not.  There rivets.  Don't just use any hardware.  I would use grade 8 bolts.  I couldn't say offhand what dia.  bolt you would need to replace a rivet.  You may need to ream the hole to fit the bolt.  Don't use an undersized bolt.  Also, don't just tighten the crap out of them.  Excess torque will weaken the threads leading to failure.  Here are a few examples:  5/16-24, 14-20ft./lbs. ; 3/8-24, 27-38 ft./lbs. ; 7/16-20, 40-60 ft./lbs. ; 1/2-13, 55-80 ft./lbs.  Be sure when you select your bolt you find the correct torque.  Another thing is 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks were prone to frame cracks under the steering box.  You should pull the steering box off and have a look.  You can purchase a kit to fix this if you do.  You should put yhe kit on even if you don't.  Eventually it may crack.

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
frame brace
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 11:25:00 PM »
Check out www.offraoddesign.com to get the frame brace.  They also offer a kit wich "triangulates" the frame to add more support.  

Offline RSBAD454

Re: frame brace
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 09:51:00 AM »
i think there is also www. competitor.com do you mean carriage bolts for the bumper or the actual rivets in the frame? but yeah i agree, i used all grade 8 bolts where needed in my frame.

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://